Vineco Got my CA Grand Red Today

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Nice, big grape pack and RC212 for yeast. Anxious to get this one going.

I'll have some interesting taste tests to perform a year from now. Three different Cab/Syrah/Merlots. I have a Red Mtn Trio that was done with EC1118 and aged in glass on French and Hungarian oak, a second RMT that will ferment with D254 and have a run in the Vadai, and the Grand Red.

Boatboy24 said:

I'll have some interesting taste tests to perform a year from now. Three different Cab/Syrah/Merlots. I have a Red Mtn Trio that was done with EC1118 and aged in glass on French and Hungarian oak, a second RMT that will ferment with D254 and have a run in the Vadai, and the Grand Red.

Nice! Mine is set to arrive on Tuesday. I am thinking about fermenting this one with Lallzyme EX and some Booster Rouge.

Any update on this one? Did you change anything or keep it all as it came?

Also, did you happen to grab a taste while racking? Thanks for the insight!

-Josh

I was just looking to update this. I got a delayed start, and so far, have pretty much followed the kit directions - I used the supplied oak chips in primary, but am skipping the cubes during clearing. Just racked from secondary on Sunday with a final SG of 0.993, yeilding ABV of about 14.5%. This is going to be a powerhouse, right up there with the Red Mountain Trio that was offered last year. I'll be letting it clear for 4-6 weeks, at which point, it will take a 3 month nap in my Vadai barrel - I'll add more oak if needed after that. Will also more than likely give it a dose of Tancor Grand Cru.

Last edited:
Very cool. Thanks for the update. Sounds like it's going to be a big one!

-Josh

Finally ordered this one today from FVW. I was looking for a cab based blend so I thought why not go with the limited edition.

Josh

Back