Tupelo Vanilla Mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scott,

Here is what I have so far:

1/8 - mixed must (1 gal Tupelo Honey, 1 1/2 tsp yeast nut, 1 1/2 tsp yeast ener, chapped raisins 4 oz, chopped dates 6 oz, water to 4 gal, and 2 pkg K1-V116) SG 1.102 This a little lower than your recipe called for but, I did not have a scale and just used the whole gallon. I will try to let it ferment dry and then sweeten to taste. I used that yeast because it is what I had on hand, I am working on the patience thing...

2006-01-11_180802_tupelo_vanilla_in_primary.jpg

1/9 - SG 1.104 (came up a bit)/70 degrees F/stirred must

2006-01-11_180955_tupelo-fermenting-1.jpg

1/10 - stirred must

1/11 - SG 1.082/71 degrees F/Added 10 Bourbon Vanilla beans split and scrapped/stirred must/sealed lid and installed air lock

2006-01-11_181107_tupelo-fermenting-2.jpg

Steve,

Looks great I would suggest to transfer all of the contents into your 6 gallon carboy if you decide to move it before you go away to FL. I say this since I think the SG will still be fairly high > 1.030 and the contact with the dried fruits will help provide nutrients for the yeast and the beans will continue to add vanilla to the mead.

Sounds good Steve...fermentation of honey is a slow and steady process unlike grape juicewhich is normally fairly quick.

I wanted to wait another day but, I am going to be to busy tomorrow so I had to transfer today...

SG 1.036

Temp is getting a little low, 68-69, so I put it on the floor next to the heater to warm it up a bit...

2006-01-16_101431_Tupelo-in-secondary.jpg

SG - 1.002/Temp- 68

Still getting a bubble every couple of minutesand is starting to build a nice bed of lees...

Sounds great Steve....my current batch appears it will end up drier than the first batch.

Not a big deal as you can always add some honey before bottling to sweeten.

I've never made mead before. Is head space in the carboy not an issue with mead?

It isn't an issue if there is still an active fermentation as the headspace will be purged with the CO2 from the fermentation.

Thanks Masta,

Learned something new today. As my grandma use to say, "You are never too old to learn."

Ok, looks like fermentation is complete. Steady SG @ 1.002, I racked it off the vanilla and fruit. Do you adjust the pH or just let it be?

Results showed up today for my Tupelo Vanilla that I entered in the International Mead Festival. Final Assigned Score was 25.5 out of 50 so it came in at a borderline good/fair.

I took big hits on too much alcohol and not enough sweetness with too much tannin coming through from raisins and dates.

So I will try again and not use any dried fruits or whole beans maybe just the seeds for flavor. Also will reduce the alcohol content and sweeten a bit more.

I was a bit disappointed but I think I set my expectations a bit high for my first try but now I think I know how to improve it.

Do you like it? How about your wife? Your friends?

I know how disappointing critique can be, but...... If you and your closest people like it, that's what counts.
smiley1.gif

I agree with Martina Masta...If you like it the way you are fixing it then i would change nothing

That is the wonderful thing about wine, you are the only judge that counts!
smiley36.gif

Scott - Congratulations for even daring to submit an entry! We are behind
you in spite of the remarks.

Do you agree with the critiques? Now that you've received the comments,
is there validity to them do you think? Just curious.

Bill

Masta et all,

Is there a minimum alcohol volume for mead to be safely stored?

Also, I'm planing on making1 gallon of basic meadand want to let it ferment to dry. Will sweetening back with honey at the end cause any cloudiness?

Latest posts

Back