Big Trouble (I think)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryinsarnia

Junior
Reaction score
I have just started making wine at home after having used WineKitz for a couple of years. I recently retired so figured I have lots of time to enjoy the hobby more if I do everything myself.

Unfortunately I think I have a major problem with my first two batches that are currently sitting in the primary fermentors. I was told that to make a sanitizing solution I should use 1 teaspoon of potassium metabisulphite in one gallon of water so this is what I used to sanitize my equipment and the primary fermentors before starting a batch of red and a batch of white wine.

I just today found this website which makes it quite clear that my sanitizing solution is woefully weak so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can save these wines from ruin.

Thanks
Terry:m:m

Do they look and smell ok, are they going normal like the kits did. If so it doesn't sound like a problem yet. I would just continue on the way you are going and when you rack these wine use the recommended amount for the amount of wine you have. Then you should be good to go. I think it is only 1/4 tsp per 6 gallons once it is done fermenting.

I'm sure others will chime in here on the subject. In my opinion, if your primaries were clean prior to sanitizing even with a weak solution, I think you should still be okay. Again that is just my opinion.

Welcome to the forum.

First off - welcome to the forum - glad to have you aboard!!!

I wouldn't necessarily say they are ruined - did you add the sulfites to your must?

What did you use to clean your containers?

Same thoughts here. If your buckets were clean to begin with, and you also used your solution, you most likely do not have anything to worry about.

Terry:

For one thing it's too early to tell if your small mistake has caused any problems. But I doubt it, unless you're very very lucky.

Just head down to Albert's Rolling Lunch (no longer Rolling, I guess), get some fries, watch the ships, and think about what to make next.

I grew up in Sarnia, miss the bridge (now dual), and especially the chip truck.

Steve

I added the bentonite to the white wine and nothing to the red per the instructions in the juice kit.
The containers are quite new so really weren't dirty and I just cleaned them with hot water and rinsed with cool water. Do you have a preference as to what to use for cleaning? My brother in law uses chlorine crystals dissolved in water but some sites say stay away from chlorine based cleaners as they could impart a taste to the wine.

Both wines are fermenting nicely and smell normal so far.

I will be racking the white to the secondary carboy tomorrow and the red next week

Thanks Steve,

Funny you should mention the bridge as my wife and I had just gone for fries under the bridge yesterday.

Terry

Latest posts

Back