Advertising (or how stupid do they think we are?)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Canadian here.
I both cringe and chuckle at US-based commercials.

Everything is based on fear.

"Use brandX soap: otherwise you'll stink and people will avoid you"
"Chew X gum: otherwise your breath won't get you a date"

... Worse: political ads. "If you vote in Y they'll take away your job!"

In my travels: I don't know of too many cultures based so much on fear to sell.

Fun to play along with those kind. Brings out the mischievous side. Almost worth having another computer loaded with all types of malware they can tap into:db

They called me for a solid two weeks with that one.

I also get the ubiquitous "Rachel from Credit Card Services" calls, and you cannot block those. They random generate a number to call from. It's a scam and they get to you even if you are on Do Not Call. I contacted my Congress folks, and got boilerplate answers about registering with Do Not Call.

NO, FOOLS! They get to you anyway! Geez...

One time, I punched through to them and and said, "This number is on the federal Do Not Call list."

The woman who had answered said, "Good for you! You know what, because you are on the list, we are going to call you every day for a month!" And they did, sometimes many times a day. It shows how untouchable they know they are.

I read an article about that scam once. It said they call so many numbers that if they can get just 1/10th of 1% to agree to be billed for the services, they make millions. The "services" are standard credit card debt reduction stuff you can do yourself for free. And sometimes, they rope people into letting them auto-charge their credit cards over and over again. Not good.

Back