For first time making wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyRam

Reaction score
What is the best way to learn to make wine; is it best to start off with a kit the very first time?

Actually the best way to start is the way I did. Make some Dragons Blood. Its good stuff and is very detailed in its instructions. Its why I picked it and I still make it today.
Its a family favorite. You will learn basic wine making skills and rules. Meanwhile everyone is here if you have any questions along the way.
Do you have a beginners kit? If not shop at a place like Amazon where I got mine. They have very good reviews. Read the whole recipe so you know what you will need to add to the kit. Good luck no matter what u decide and welcome!!
Dragons Bood
For a six (6) gallon batch: READ THESE DIRECTION COMPLETELY BEFORE
PROCEEDING. RECORD EVERYTHING YOU DO!
Step 1: To a cleaned and sanitized seven gallon (or larger) primary, add---in this
order:
1 bottles (48 oz each) 100% Lemon Juice (ReaLemon in the green bottle): if you want to
reduce the acid level use less lemon juice.
Water to about five gallons
20 cups of white granulated sugar (you will be looking for a SG of around 1.075 after
filling to 6 gallons below*): use more/less sugar for high/lower desired final ABV.
Stir sugar until completely dissolved.
1 tsp. tannin (stir)
3 tsp. yeast nutrient (stir)
1 tsp. yeast energizer (stir)
3 tsp. pectic enzyme (stir)
Top water to six (6) gallons* and stir well
Test SG (looking for a SG around 1.075) Note: The natural sugars from the fruit (below)
will slightly increase the final ABV, so be careful how high you drive up the SG at this
point!
6 lbs. of Triple Berry Blend (raspberry/blackberry/blueberry--available in most grocery
store freezer sections), frozen then thawed, in a fine mesh nylon bag (tied shut),
placed in primary (add any extra juice from the fruit as well): Give the bag a couple
of squeezes to work in pectic enzyme. You may also toss the fruit directly into
primary, but this makes for a "messier" fermentation and subsequently will require
more clearing time and further racking.
Cover primary: Do not snap down the lid or add an airlock. Cover the lid with a cloth or
towel.
Place brew belt (if available): Keep temp in 70F-80F range.
Let sit undisturbed for 12-24 hours...
Step 2: To the primary fermenter, add:
1 packet of EC-1118 Yeast (starter, per yeast directions): Sprinkle yeast into one cup of
warm water (100F), let sit for 15 minutes (no longer), stir and add to primary. Other
yeast strains may also work well. Experiment.
Stir Primary Vigorously!
Step 3: Each day, do the following, in this order:
Uncover primary
Check and record temperature
Check and record specific gravity
Squeeze juices from fruit pack into fermenter and remove fruit pack (The Presser
Method): Temporarily place in sanitized bucket or bowl.
Stir primary vigorously: To introduce oxygen into must and suspend the yeast.
Replace fruit pack
Cover primary
Step 4: When specific gravity (SG) reaches <1.000, do the following:
Squeeze juices from fruit pack into fermenter---remove fruit pack: Discard fruit.
Note: When the specific gravity (SG) has fallen below 1.000, and the fruit bag has
been removed, discontinue stirring daily but check the SG and temp daily as before.
Proceed from here only when the wine’s SG has stabilized below 1.000. A stable SG
means that the SG for three consecutive days reveals no change in the SG.
Uncover primary
Rack (siphon) the wine to cleaned and sanitized six gallon carboy, leaving the gross lees
(the stuff in the bottom of the primary) undisturbed.
Add 1/4 tsp. Potassium Metabisulfite (dissolved in half cup cool water)
Add 3 tsp. Potassium Sorbate (dissolved in half cup cool water)
Degas wine very thoroughly: I cannot emphasize this enough!
Add Sparkolloid* (or other clearing agent) per package directions (stir for 2 minutes): *1
tbs in one cup of water simmered (boiled) for about 5-10 minutes. Add hot mixture
directly to carboy.
If the carboy is not full, add enough cool water to bring the level within two inches of the
top opening.
Add a bung and airlock (filled half way with sulfite solution)
Allow to clear undisturbed for no less than 1 week
Step 5: When wine is clear:
Carefully rack off one gallon of wine into a cleaned and sanitized container, and set aside.
Carefully rack the remainder of the wine off of the lees into a cleaned & sanitized six
gallon carboy
Add 4-5 cups of white granulated sugar (stir until sugar is completely dissolved): This
will give a SG of around 1.010. Add more or less sugar to taste. Remember! The
sugars will blend with the lemon and berry flavors over time, and the sweetness will
come forward. Do not over-sweeten!
If carboy is not full, top up within two inches of top of carboy opening with some of the
spare gallon of wine
Replace bung and airlock
Allow wine to clear free of all sediment: This may or may not require more racking over
the next few weeks.
Step 6: When wine is completely clear:
Filter if desired
Bottle in clear bottles (because it's beautiful)
Note: Never bottle cloudy wine! NEVER!
A. DRAGON BLOOD VARIATIONS…
Any kind of fruit you can imagine may be substituted for the triple berries in the above
recipe. Use the exact same procedure, just use different fruit in the bag. I personally have
made blueberry, blackberry, strawberry, raspberry, and a delightful tropical blend using
pineapple/mango/peach/strawberry. Other wine makers have had success with a quadberry
blend (blueberry/blackberry/raspberry/strawberry), a tropical blend using pineapple
juice instead of lemon, and even cherry-lime (with lime juice). Fruit purees and fruit wine
bases abound on the market. Try oak and/or raisins in the primary or secondary. The list
of possibilities is endless. Use your imagination. Pick your favorite fruit, and make a
Dragon Blood version of your own. Try raisins, spices, oak, or extracts. Give it a catchy
name, and make this recipe yours!

Sorry Rocky I never seen your answer before I posted.

Make the dragons blood !!! Make sure you have everything you need and go for it!!

I looked on amazon, but did not see it (dragons blood). Maybe I just don't know what I am looking for.

Jay

You will never find the recipe for dragons blood on amazon!! You buy your kit from amazon. the recipe for Dragons blood has nothing to do With that!! that comes from this site!!

Last edited:
I believe that Tess was suggesting you purchase the non-expendable supplies, such as a fermenting bucket, hydrometer, glass carboy, sanitizer, brush, etc. from Amazon.

She was then suggesting that you make your first wine, not from a kit, but following a recipe known as "Dragon's Blood," popularized here by our own Danger Dave. It is made from readily available (i.e., grocery) ingredients.

Although I am a newbie, and have drunk less wine than Tess has made ;), my personal suggestion would be to start with a kit. A kit will have all the ingredients you need, so you can at least recognize most of them when you do eventually try to make the Dragon's Blood!

most kits really dont come with everything you will need, unless you buy a real high end kit.
1. must have a hydrometer, and test tube are just dont make wine.
2. must have a clean food grade bucket for a primary fermenter
3. must have a clean food grade carboy for a secondary
should have
paint strainer bags, are cheese cloth bag
funnel
racking cane with auto syphon
measure spoons and measuring cups
6-0 of clear plastic hose for racking cane
large spoon are other stirring device
turkey baster for drawing samples
a cordlees dril are vacuum pump are something to degass with
corks, corker, bottles
chemicals:

acid blend
tannin
pectin enzyme
yeast nutrient and energizer, are super ferment which has both
yeast of preference
campden tablets, are k meta
one step cleaning soloution
super kleer for clearing the wine

thats the basics

The kits, I've heard, are formulated to give a good result, so they're good to find out if you even like to make wine, I guess. I jumped head first with fresh juice, but we're lucky in that it's available only a few hours drive from us. If you have all the tools, then you should be ok with either. Having someone local to ask questions to makes a BIG difference for me, also.

I believe that Tess was suggesting you purchase the non-expendable supplies, such as a fermenting bucket, hydrometer, glass carboy, sanitizer, brush, etc. from Amazon.

She was then suggesting that you make your first wine, not from a kit, but following a recipe known as "Dragon's Blood," popularized here by our own Danger Dave. It is made from readily available (i.e., grocery) ingredients.

Although I am a newbie, and have drunk less wine than Tess has made ;), my personal suggestion would be to start with a kit. A kit will have all the ingredients you need, so you can at least recognize most of them when you do eventually try to make the Dragon's Blood!

I started with dragons blood and Im glad I did. There is more pride in making it all yours and you are exactly right, that is the kit I meant. You will have to add to it. I had to buy a Hydrometer, Bottle washer and stand. things like that. The chemicals for the Blood are readily available at place's online like Midwest Supplies. The fruit you can find in the freezers at Walmart or Kroger and your local help is right here! lol Plus if you like it sweet you can control how sweet you want it

Last edited:
Hey CowboyRam,

It would be helpful if you told us what kind of budget you have for your winemaking. A kit can cost $200, cheap for some, expensive for others. I have seen seen good results made with store bought apple juice and very simple equipment.

Hey CowboyRam,

It would be helpful if you told us what kind of budget you have for your winemaking. A kit can cost $200, cheap for some, expensive for others. I have seen seen good results made with store bought apple juice and very simple equipment.

I like the suggestion to make Dragon Blood (a style of Skeeter Pee). It is very cheap and you get a full range of what goes into making wine.

One other thing - sanitize everything your wine touches.

Latest posts

Back