1/2 apple juice 1/2 apple cider wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johngottshall

Reaction score
i started a 3 gallon batch of this tonight.

3 gallon of juice and cider 1/2 and 1/2
2 3/4 lbs sugar S.G.1.050 before sugar added after sugar added 1.086
3/4 tsp Tannin
3 tsp. yeast Nutrient
3 tsp.Acid Blend
1 1/2 Pectic Enzyme
will wait 24 hours then add the yeast packet.

i would like input to the type of yeast i should use. I have these types of yeast available red star Champagne,
red star Montrachet,
red star cote des Blancs
Lalvin D47, EC1118, K1-V1116 any and all input would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance John:db

My experience is a little limited, but the last cider I did with ec-1118 ended up very dry, and very light on the fruit flavor. I have another one going now with the K1 and I have been advised to expect more pronounced apple flavor...

Like ou8amaus, my experience is limited, but I would also go with the 1116.

D47 is listed by Lalvin as having a temp range of 50-86F. However, other sources list the range 15-20C (max 68F). My personal experience has been that fermentation at the warmer temps proceeds just fine but will produce off odors at ~23C+ and it results in loss of subtle aromatics that would be important in light or floral wines. I no longer ever use D47 unless I rotate ice packs around the bucket to keep the temp down ~20C.

EC-1118 is a bit of a sledge hammer. I've grown fond of 1116 for many of my country wines. Not much experience with the Red Star yeasts.

A couple of cloves and a little cinnamon give it some extra flavor. Take it easy with the cloves, tho. I also like a bit of vanilla extract with the apple. I would use either cotes de blanc or d47 yeast. Arne.

I also just racked a gallon of apple cider wine into secondary yesterday. Made from a mixture of 12 different apple varieties both cooking and eating. UV treated to kill bacteria and very balanced. I used Cote de Blanc and shot for a high abv since I also spiced with clove, cinnamon, nutmeg and all-spice. Due to the spice, high abv and the fact that I plan on back sweetening this wine I just guessed the acid addition and threw in about .8 tsp of acid blend. However, I plan on doing two more apple wines. One just straight apple and another with ginger. For the straight apple i am shooting for 11% as Luc has suggested on this site. For the ginger I was thinking around 12.5. Anyone able to give me a good Ph range for apple. I am ordering a Ph meter this evening. Just figured the acid will be more important with the weaker abv and spice flavors. Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited:
OK I sure will. I used the heat belt on it so maybe that's why it took off so fast not sure.

Latest posts

Back