Oaking in kegs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangerinparadise

Reaction score
I've got my cab in beer kegs with Tri-Clover clamps/seals. I also have some oak chains (stave segments in nylon sleeves) that need to go into the kegs. In the past, I just dumped the oak chains into the wine; it turned out to be a major pain to get the chains out again. If I were using bungs, I could just fasten the chains to the bungs, but that's more difficult with the stainless Tri-Clover seals. Having rings welded to the seals is more than I want to do.

One thought I've had is to use some kind of a float tethered to the oak chain, like a pingpong ball or some kind of silicone something.

Suggestions?

Maybe you can do what most of us with carboys do: Tie a piece of sanitized fishing line to the oak. Leave some outside and refasten your clamps.

I made a oak chips "tea bag". Basically sewing two coffee filters together with the oak chips on the inside. And the good news is it floats. Check it out.

image-3473793419.jpg

I like your float idea. Why not just use a cork? I would tie sanitized fishing line to one end of your oak chain, then the other to a wine cork. Should be easy to snag the line to remove the oak.

Thank you

Why can't I see the obvous solution(s) instead of my flight of fancy. A cork? Good grief. Thank you for saving me from myself.

Latest posts

Back