Maple Syrup wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I would not use the store bought "cheap" syrup for this as it is not real maple syrup. It is a lot of water, artificial coloring, flavoring, and sugar. I wouldn't like to know what would happen to all of that stuff if you tried to ferment it. You want maple syrup where you can look at the ingredient list and see ONLY: 100% Grade A/B Pure Maple Syrup or something similar.

How about an update on the wine? It's been a little cold here in Michigan for a good flow of sap, should warm up this week.

I am new to the Site. I've never done maple syrup/sap wine but I have a birch sap wine in fermenting now. This is a first time but the recipe appears to be quite similar. The one I used was kinda cobbled together from more than one I read through. Anxious to see how it turns out.

Lenna

I have 3 pints of fresh maple syrup and considering how much wine that I can make with it. If I start with S.G. of 1.085 to 1.090, will it ferment to the range of .990 to .995? If I use the 3 pints of maple with sugar added to get the must to 1.090 to get one gallon of must, will the wine have enough flavor, body, etc.?

Thanks

VTWinemaker

vtwinemaker, Can maple syrup ferment naturally or is it like honey - with too much sugar in it to allow yeast to thrive? How much would you have to dilute it to enable it to ferment? What would be the SG of that must? The taste of maple may be too diluted to be worth the effort. People who have made wine from the sap rather than the syrup talk about how much like sap it tastes!

Just came across this thread. I make maple syrup every spring and this past spring I decided to make some into wine. After I was done making my syrup I saved 70 gallon of sap and boiled it down to 5 gallon then proceeded to make wine as normal. Added acid blend and all the normal ingredients and low and behold " A GREAT WINE" I then added mulling spice to 1/2 of it when I bottled that stuff is great warmed now that the fall weather has arrived. I will post here soon with the exact details.

Ok here it is :My Maple Wine"

After my son and I were done making syrup, had enough made for our needs. I kept 70 gallon of sap.

Boiled 70 gallon of maple sap down to 5 gallon
Tested SG and found it at 1.13 about 19% ABV, very high, but it is almost maple syrup (Do Not ADD Sugar :))
5 tps of acid blend or to 3.4
4 tps peptic enzyme
4 tps yeast nutrient
4 tps yeast energizer
Lavin EC 1118 yeast

Fermented in the primary for 2 weeks then into the secondary until the yeast died around 1.004 for a ABV 0f 16.8% and it tastes like it. Added superkleer to clear. after it cleared I racked and stabilized it. 1 month later I racked and bottled. In 1/2 of the bottles I added 1 tps of mulling spice for a spiced maple, that is just great. We warmed 3 bottles in a crock pot this past Sunday to take to a Steelers Game Day party at a friends and it was the biggest hit of the day certainly better than the STEELERS:slp. So good I plan to uncork the others and spice it.

Photo of the syrup making process at my camp notice my guard dog.

Another photo of some finished syrup and some concord wine Easter Morning 2013

Notice in 3rd photo my boiler is also my smoke house

4th photo is our Easter ham I cured and smoked in the smokehouse as I was boiling sap.

Last photo second from right top 2 bays are maple dark is spiced and amber is plain

DSCN1336.jpg

DSCN1369.jpg

DSCN1339.jpg

DSCN1343.jpg

DSCN1383.jpg

Last edited:
Wineon4 have you tried your maple wine yet? Curious how your recipe came out as I might use it. Would love an update - thanks,

I would like to know as well. I got a crazy idea that I am going to try to make maple syrup next spring. Then maple syrup wine

I'm interested in hearing how this came out as well.

I've recently acquired some hickory syrup from someone and wonder how it would be in a wine or mead as well.
It is so delicious.

Has anyone ever tried to get a real solid maple flavored wine using only maple products no exceptions. I've heard the 12:1 boil for maple wine, my issue with this is you lose all the developed flavors and darkness the long term cooking all the way to syrup provides. Starting idea is as follows: 5 gallons fresh filtered sap strait, no boil. Add b grade very dark commercial cooking grade pure maple syrup, add maple sugar to reach desired gravity. What am I missing? Isn't there plenty of nutrient in the sap to satisfy yeast requirements? I'm a purist, with probably undiagnosed OCD. I would buy this product if I could find it. Im going to try it when I have about $200 laying around to buy the pure maple sugar and syrup.... Also may age on maple chips from tree sap came from. Somebody stop me. My wife and I are large, if she sees me feeding 3lbs of syrup to yeast she may kill me.

Last edited:
I have been recently pondering maple wine myself, I was interested in mead until I heard that it tasted like honey without the sugar....not to appealing to me. I was thinking 3lbs/gal like mead but will probably abandon that and use one of these recipes. A side note: I was surprised by what Mud posted about sugar syrup being indistinguishable from maple syrup, but then I remembered the homemade cane syrup I bought last year, it tastes just like Aunt Jemima's Maple syrup. I think that I might like that as a wine.

I have been recently pondering maple wine myself, I was interested in mead until I heard that it tasted like honey without the sugar....not to appealing to me. I was thinking 3lbs/gal like mead but will probably abandon that and use one of these recipes. A side note: I was surprised by what Mud posted about sugar syrup being indistinguishable from maple syrup, but then I remembered the homemade cane syrup I bought last year, it tastes just like Aunt Jemima's Maple syrup. I think that I might like that as a wine.
Mead—- there was a blue ribbon one in contest called a”brouchet” with knock your Sox off flavor! The process was to boil the honey till dark which creates more non fermentable sugars. You might accomplish the same to up the honey notes by back sweetening with honey. An interesting comment from the primary mead maker in the club is that the honey flavors become stronger as the mead ages.
Maple syrup—- have had twice, it showed up in contest last month, overall toasted sugar with light sweetness. The first maple syrup wine carried toasted notes and was dry, could not recognize the maple syrup flavor in it.

Hope it turns out well!

I added a quart to my primary rhubarb apple and you would never know it now. Note to self. Save Maple for back sweetening until further notice.

Latest posts

Back