What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have fun on the vaycay! Look out for sink holes, collapsing dams, and bridges.....Think about heading way up the 5 next time where the wine is even better but cost 75% less! :sm

LOL! We're not going to be in the midst of all that mess, the valley is just fine. After this trip, we'll have scratched the Napa itch, big state and still lots of AVA's to explore. Next trip out west, we'll probably be further north, Oregon, Washington......

Having issues taking this picture, probably because I've had a few more beers than I expected to have tonight. Got my mash cooler out, added a newly kegged Irish Red and some ice water to surround it so I could sample a beer or two (pretty warm around these parts, needed the samples below 55*F). I think I've finally put my finger on why my batches earlier this year have some cloudiness that doesn't easily clear without added finings. This is one of the batches that I kept my sparge water temp in check (170*F or below). The batch was made on 2-11-17, so it's all of 11 days old, pretty good clarity without any added finings.

Best of all the wife liked it (I did make it with her in mind), but she couldn't indulge because Chemisty homework beckoned (latest chapter of my "love" life).

2-22-17_irish-red.jpg

2012 Saldo (Spanish for balance). Won a silver with this guy last year. Still a fruit bomb with lots of power. Tannins are starting to soften but needs 30 mins to open and soften a bit. ~80% Zin, 10% Syrah, 10% PS. Lots of life left in this blend. Mikey likey!

Starting a little early this morning, eh? ;)

This is going down as a top 10 wine and its only February! 2012 Kevin White La Fraternité. Very small winery out of Woodinville, WA. Kevin is a "Microsofty" that has not quit his day job yet. Grenache, Mourvèdre and Syrah. Just an amazing and different bottle of wine. Polished, juicy, with a lively balance to the violet-accented red berry flavors, that linger easily on the finish. Good to the last drop!

IMG_2032.jpg

Mike, we are headed out on a 9K RV road trip this summer, starting in Fl, just started planning the Calif wine country part of the trip. So I assume highway 5 is I -5, heading north of Grant Long Winery. We are doing a few days in Napa & Sonoma area, then headed to Oregon & Washington State. Could you give us a hint of the area you are talking about, " better wines for 75% less". Thanks. Roy

Will be happy to give you some assistance! In Oregon you will want to visit/stay/play in around McMinnville, OR. Tons of wineries but they are mostly growing Chard, Pinot Noir and Pinot Gris and the like. OR Pinot Noir is very different than CA Pinot Noir. McMinnville also has a fantastic air museum which is home to the famed "Spruce Goose". Don't miss that. Heading up into WA State to Seattle quite a few of the wineries now have tasting rooms in Woodinville, WA which is a suburb of Seattle. Not all though and many many only have tasting rooms on the east side of the mountains in Walla Walla and the surrounding areas like Yakima Valley and the Tri-Cities. Visit: Washington Wine Country for maps and whats in each area. When it gets closer to your trip I can recommend wineries to visit. Visit: Woodinville Wine Country for more info for the Woodinville/Seattle wineries.

Mike, we are headed out on a 9K RV road trip this summer, starting in Fl, just started planning the Calif wine country part of the trip. So I assume highway 5 is I -5, heading north of Grant Long Winery. We are doing a few days in Napa & Sonoma area, then headed to Oregon & Washington State. Could you give us a hint of the area you are talking about, " better wines for 75% less". Thanks. Roy

Hey Roy, good luck

He's too small. He can sell out most of his releases in a few months at the winery, club members and local stores. You might find some Gorman wines at Costco. I have seen a few bottles in Costco both here in NM as well as TX so keep an eye out for anything from Gorman Winery (in the wooden bins).

Gotta check to see if they have it at Costco land.

Decided to pop one of the 2015 blends. This one is 75% Syrah, 20% Cab and 5% Petite Sirah. A big glass of 'in your face'. Nice acidity, firm tannin, and dark fruit in the background. Really shouldn't be drinking it yet, but couldn't resist tonight. Its yummy, but trying to imagine what it'll be like in 2 years is making me wish the days away.

IMG_5075.jpg

96b7e50c42d633282e6bba6b0560fb27aecd28b6054a83cb642b5806cbaa529a.jpg

Really shouldn't be drinking it yet, but couldn't resist tonight. Its yummy, but trying to imagine what it'll be like in 2 years is making me wish the days away.

Last edited:
Back