ABV% too high...help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the pineapple wine is dry, bubbling has pretty much stopped and SG is 0.992 but it's not clearing. I've already added the sparkaloid, is there another way to clear?

Tick Tock, Tick Tock. Hold off on the chemicals treatments etc. Give it at least a couple of 4-6 months and see how much remains. It just know stopping moving with the gasses coming out. Once it's had some time the fine lees will drop. Remember some of those treatments strip out color and or flavor as well as the lees. It's barely 3 months old and as you mentioned the flavor was light... adding more treatments could reduce that flavor even more. If you have a good power filter system that might clear it but remember the more you disturb it, the longer it will take for things to settle out.

Hardest thing for me to learn has been waiting things like this out. Fortunately even though I am retired, I have so much going on that I actually forget about my wines 'in process' for a week or two. Better for them and me.

It's fine if you want to rush your first few batches to have something to drink but I can tell you the difference between my blueberry wine at 5-6 months (July 2015 and December 2015) and the bottle we opened this past week at 18 months is night and day. It's now so smooth and clean with that right touch of tannins and the flavor is front and center clear and with only 4 1/2 lbs of blueberries in a gallon.

Last edited:
Back