2 questions...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabiola

Reaction score
Hello folks, I have 2 questions about mead, I will be starting a batch of dry mead and have read several recipes but none of them mention anything about this:

1. Does it need to be degased?
2. What would be a good yeast to use?

I use D-47 a lot and yes you will need to de-gas. Sometimes it seems like you will never get all the C02 out

Mike, D47 and 71b seem to be real nice on the few batches of berry blend and tropical melomel that I have made.
As far as the C02 is concerned, it took several rackings with the Allinone Pump to remove a lot of the gas, but what a significant difference!

Mike, D47 and 71b seem to be real nice on the few batches of berry blend and tropical melomel that I have made.
As far as the C02 is concerned, it took several rackings with the Allinone Pump to remove a lot of the gas, but what a significant difference!

How long did you wait to drink it?

Drinkability depends on a million and one things. Traditionals seem to take longer to be drinkable,. Young meads can taste bloody horrible so tbey need ageing. Using fruit in a recipe or making it sweeter can reduce the time it needs to age.

Consider a minimum of 6 to 12 months.

Latest posts

Back