Swing Tops for Dragon Blood

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsJones

Reaction score
Any thoughts on using swing top bottles for Dragon's Blood? I have half a dozen of them from Ikea and am short on corked bottles.

Thanks!

ImageUploadedByWine Making1461030597.074159.jpg

Any thoughts on using swing top bottles for Dragon's Blood? I have half a dozen of them from Ikea and am short on corked bottles.

Thanks!

View attachment 28614

I would say as long as they keep the air out then by all means go for it. And you can always store them in the frig. to drink first.
I enjoy reading your posts with interest about the different DB's your making and you sure got it going.

Will

Thanks for weighing in on the bottles! I'll be sure to keep the DB thread updated on my latest concoction:)

I've got 5 gallons of cider & beer bottled in them right now and have used them for wine in the past that got drank pretty fast.

A friend gave me about 6-7 cases of those bottles. I thought I was in heaven until I realized the wine doesn't age/mature well (or at all, for that matter) in them. The condition of your wine at bottling will likely be the same as it will be in 6 months or 3 years. I continue to use the bottles but I cork them for storage. I use the flip top for leftover wine.

I used them for a few wines, but noticed an off flavor. I got it in my head it was the rubber gasket, but I can't confirm that (it was pretty early on in my wine making so could've just been me making bad wine). Like Roger I still use the bottles, but cork them.

Make sure you use the appropriate size cork, but they work great. We usually use a few of them each batch, so we have smaller containers to sample and enjoy the first year or so.

The swing tops worked great! We used a couple of them and drank then first but even kept the wine fresh for two days or so u till we finished the bottle.

Latest posts

Back