WineXpert Kenridge Showcase Or Winexpert Selection?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPR

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I just wondered if you have any thoughts on these kits?
I am about to order around 6 and have made the selections so far with a few eclipses.
Im trying to get a stock on as new to this and thought id drop a step back from the eclipse kits due to the costs and also i am taking a chance as of course i cant taste them yet!
I was considering:
Showcase Amarone
Showcase French Merlot
Showcase Aust Shiraz
Selection Barolo
Selection Chateau De Rio

I would really welcome your thoughts and any experience on these and any others I prefer deep powerful reds mainly

We're kind of in the same position.
So far I've made the Kenridge Showcase Amarone and French cabernet Sauvignon. They are bottled but I didn't taste them yet.
Currently bubbling is the WE selection Pinot Noir.

My expectation is that the Showcase and Selection kits are very simular.

I've looked at the CC showcase and Eclipse kits but the price is too much for me. I would go from €3,80 for a bottle to €6,25.

Also I drink half a bottle every day so to age them for two years I would need a huge storage. I can keep about 350 bottles plus two or three carboys so aging for one year and still have a nice selection available is managable.

Also I drink half a bottle every day so to age them for two years I would need a huge storage. I can keep about 350 bottles plus two or three carboys so aging for one year and still have a nice selection available is managable.

You might consider bottling most of your wines in 375 ml bottles if that's the case. You could store them in milk crates pretty easily, too.

I haven't done either of the Showcase kits you mentioned, but every Showcase kit I've done has been very good. I've especially read good things about the Amarone.

We're kind of in the same position.
So far I've made the Kenridge Showcase Amarone and French cabernet Sauvignon. They are bottled but I didn't taste them yet.
Currently bubbling is the WE selection Pinot Noir.

My expectation is that the Showcase and Selection kits are very simular.

I've looked at the CC showcase and Eclipse kits but the price is too much for me. I would go from €3,80 for a bottle to €6,25.

I drink 2 bottles most days (part of my 5 a day!!) so imagine my storage. Thats why i am making kits like crazy at this stage so i can try and age them. Thats also wh im making whites as well as ready quicker

IMHO, Showcase kits are far superior to the Selection kits. They have a grape pack which elevates them above the Selection kits. I've done the Showcase Amarone many times and consider it to be one of the best kits out there. Just one guy's opinion.

Well, I suppose someone should point out that some Selection kits do indeed come with grape packs. I do agree they don't seem to be the same as Showcase -- seems more like CC Sterling (some of which also have grape packs).

I would like to point out that the SPR and Dutch are talking about the Kenridge Showcase line , not the Cellar Craft Showcase line . Cellar Craft Showcase don't have a French Merlot . The Kenridge Showcase and the Selection are 16 Liters kits . I think they are similar , and some of the Selection kits with grape pack are better . I made the Kenridge Showcase Amarone and the Kenridge Showcase French Cab Sav but they are still bulk aging . I think with kits you get what you pay for . :b

Kenridge showcase.jpg

Yes the ones i am talking about are the Kenridge showcase and standard selection kits at around £75 and 16l. The Cellar Craft showcase seem to be equivalent to the selection eclipse which here in the UK are around £125.

I have made the top end Eclipse kits and was wondering about the next step back without skins which by many kit standards are still expensive but im trying to get a head start so when eventually i can drink it i dont run out.

I am watching the cost but then again if the standard selection and showcase are far inferior to the Eclipse then i would sooner stay top end with the later.

Its all a bit difficult as a new wine maker as of course i cant taste the damm stuff yet! Oh the frustration!

Yes the ones i am talking about are the Kenridge showcase and standard selection kits at around £75 and 16l. The Cellar Craft showcase seem to be equivalent to the selection eclipse which here in the UK are around £125.

OK, my bad. I always get confused with those names. When I see Showcase, my mind always goes to Cellar Craft and my mouth starts to water.

OK, my bad. I always get confused with those names. When I see Showcase, my mind always goes to Cellar Craft and my mouth starts to water.

Hi Roger

So how to the cellercraft showcase compare to commercial wines?

It's hard to compare kit wine with commercial versions. My biggest complaint with kit wine is the lack of aroma. But with extended aging time, they begin to develop.

I try not to recreate a commercial wine because I simply don't have the resources available to a commercial winery. Because of that, I start off way behind the curve. I judge my wines very simply - would I buy this wine again and will I be proud to serve it to my friends. Also, if I tasted this at a wine bar, would I buy a bottle.

As for CC Showcase, I find them to be as close to a commercial product as you can get from a kit. I haven't tried one yet that was less than outstanding. If you decide to try one, I'm confident you will be very satisfied. Just give them a couple years to reach their potential.

"judge my wines very simply - would I buy this wine again and will I be proud to serve it to my friends. Also, if I tasted this at a wine bar, would I buy a bottle."

This is what i was trying badly to mean. Are the wines good enough that if i tried them would i have another glass or bottle. Presumably the answer is yes otherwise the kits makers wouldnt be in business long.

I made my first kitwine in april.
It was a 7.5 ltr kit from DOC's.

At first it had the infamous bubblegum taste was watery and really gassy.

The bubblegum taste disappeared within weeks and to my suprise so did the gas.

It is now a very simple but nice wine for everyday drinking.
I've had far worse wine that I used to buy in the supermarket for €3,75.
If the 16 ltr kits turn into €6,- bottles I will be satisfied.
When I build my stash I might make some skin kits.

Hello SPR and Dutch ,

I hope I was not totally discouraging you guys to try some of the 16 L. kits .
You get what you pay for , but you should try to make some of them . Get 2 or 3 but not 6 to start with . Many people add raisins or dried black currents to this kits and read up about adding Tannins . If you could get some wine grapes that would be even better .
I did some quality testing tonight with my Showcase Amarone . I am happy with it at 9 months and hopefully it will improve yet . I did add 0.5kg or 1lb of raisins to this one .
Also if you can buy the Legacy Primo Rosso kit (a 16 L. kit made by Vineco) I would highly recommend it .
:b

I read nothing discouraging in your post.
If the 16ltr kit tastes twice as good as the 7.5 ltr kits I'm all set.

Just hate the idea of having to wait two years and keep buying commercial wine.

Dutch

I tried a bottle of selection Australian Chardonnay yesterday that had been bottled for 6 weeks only. It's one of the best ones I have ever tasted and that's after a very short period and now I have to try and leave it alone. I'm new to this but my answer to stopping buying from shop is to make 2 whites with 3-4 reds

Latest posts

Back