good mead recipee please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobwhite

Reaction score
I've never made a mead but looking to start one this weekend I have made fruit wine for a wile so I do have some experience

I have raw local money for sale just a mile up the road so I can buy all the honey I need

I'm looking to make 5 gallons of semi-sweet or sweet

I have a good friend getting married this time next year and would love to have some ready by then for a gift if possible

So question is how many pounds of honey?
How much nutrient and energiser and how to stage it?
What to top up with?
How to back sweet ?
Do I boil at the beginning or not?
And do I campden taplet the first 24 hours before yeast?
What kind of yeast ?

Any info would b great !!

So question is how many pounds of honey?
How much nutrient and energiser and how to stage it?
What to top up with?
How to back sweet ?
Do I boil at the beginning or not?
And do I campden taplet the first 24 hours before yeast?
What kind of yeast ?

Any info would b great !!

3lbs per gallon / 1 quart of honey per gallon of mead

The nutrient depends on which brand and product you're using, we'll need more information for that.

If you want a regular honey-flavored mead, it's just honey and water, plus the nutrients and yeast. If you want something with another fruit flavor, then you have options on what to top up with, but normally I shoot to make a little bit extra in the beginning of the batch so that I have some of the same product to top up with.

Back-sweeten post-fermentation, like making other wines. Set the Specific Gravity where you want it, ferment dry, then stabilize with Sorbate+K-meta, and add honey to backsweeten after.

No need to boil the honey, you'll lose the more delicate flavors and aromas if you heat it up too much. Warming it up, and using warm water when putting the batch together, does help the honey dissolve, but it's no where near boiling.

You dont necessarily need the campden tablet or k-meta.

Yeast options are open, but D-47 works well for me.

OK thanks every much for the info I'm going to just use honey and no frut

HONEY:
1 gallon honey (3.79 liters) weighs 11 lbs., 13.2 ounces. (189.2 oz) [BEEKEEPING FOR DUMMIES, Howland Blackiston, 2002
BEEKEEPING, p16]
1 gallon honey weighs 11 lbs, 12 ounces at 68oF. [ABC&XYZ, 1974, p437]
1 gallon honey (14 to 18% moisture) weighs from 12 to 11.75 pounds [BEEKEEPING, Eckert & Shaw, 1960, p261]
Honey Specific gravity = 1.41 to 1.45 (water = 1.0 & weighs 8.3 lbs) [BEEKEEPING, Eckert & Shaw, 1960, p261]
Higher moisture content, less weight per gallon [BEEKEEPING, Eckert & Shaw, 1960, p261]

Latest posts

Back