Shiraz Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcb54

Reaction score
OK - like a lot of people start by saying: this may be a dumb question...

Shiraz is my favorite wine and I really like the taste of the Yellow Tail Shiraz (both the regular and the reserve). I would have to say that it is my favorite Shiraz. There is just something about the particular "earthy" flavor that I taste in Yellow Tail that I do not taste in any other Shiraz.

I have made WineExpert International Shiraz, Mosti Renaissance Shiraz, and the WineExpert Crushendo Single Vinyard Shiraz. Even though they are very nice wines, I cannot replicate whatever the particular taste that the Yellow Tail seems to have.

Does anyone know what I mean about the taste I am talking about? Does anyone have any suggestions about what kit I could try or how to get the particular flavor I find in the Yellow Tail Shiraz?

Tcb54,
Ah - terroir, for one. Extracted grape skins, for another. I don't find (m)any kits that actually source fruit from Australia, so to match that particular terroir will be difficult at best. In my opinion, nothing can truly compensate for the taste of the soil where a grape is grown, especially if you like that taste and are looking for it elsewhere.

Australian Shiraz is one of the larger portions of my personal collection, especially those coming from Barossa Valley (a wonderful meaty aroma to these wines, like an uncooked rib roast straight from the butcher). On the commercial side of things, there are some good Shiraz wines that are not that expensive from Australia including Wolf Blass and Marquis Philips (technically an American/Australian dual effort). The Pillar Box Red by Henry's Drive is another good wine, although it isa Shiraz blend.

Good luck in your quest,

- Jim

Latest posts

Back