First kits in primary - sanitation question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kat50496

Reaction score
OK, so I finally started my first 2 kits, WE Select Old Vine Zin and Sauv Blanc. My biggest concern is sanitizing, so I cleaned everything in EZ Clean and then sanitized with k meta (is this like belts and suspenders?). After getting both into primary, I sanitized two six gallon better bottles with k meta along with bungs and airlocks. I then put about a cup of k meta into the carboys, and closed with airlocks.

My question is, can I just store these carboys this way until ready to transfer into secondary? Is it OK to just leave the solution, under airlock, in the carboy till then? Do I need to rinse before transfer? Obviously sanitization is my biggest concern (in case you couldn't tell). Thanks everyone

Keith you are fine leaving the k-meta in the better bottles under air-lock. Do not use solid bungs with better bottles or you will either blow the bung off or your sides will collapse (first hand knowledge). When you are ready to use them, swish the k-meta around in the carboy and dump it out. You are now ready to use them. Do not rinse.

Thanks Dan, pretty much what I thought I have read on the forum, but just wanted to make sure. Really just wanted to make sure about the better bottles. Kinda got talked into those rather than glass by my better half, and after lifting them around to clean, might not be so bad afterall.

I will definately be adding some glass carboys to my supply inventory though, really want to look into bulk aging some of the reds I plan to make.

Be careful picking them up as you will be squeezing them. Also I would not put them under vacuum

Be careful picking them up as you will be squeezing them. Also I would not put them under vacuum

Keith,

Yep, be sure to remove the airlock while trying to pick up a BB. Air lock solution will either be blown out or sucked into the bottle.

Sort of like picking up jello.

I find grabbing it by the neck and one hand under the bottom is best. Do not grab the side. Like Robie said remove the airlock when moving also.

great advice, don't want to lose my first batch all over the basement floor.

Another newbie question - I know I should wait to ask, since I just started primary's last night, but can't. The more I read, the more I start to second guess myself. OK here goes

started WE Select Sauv. Blanc last night - SG at 1.093 temp at 72.
Also started Lodi Old Vine Zin - SG at 1.094 temp at 74

I covered both loosely with lid and covered with a clean towel. First question is "What should I expect for fermentation?" I hear a slight "fizzing" in each fermentor. Should it be more active or is this normal.

Secondly, the temp in my basement (only place the better half will allow the activity) is about 68 degrees. Is this adequate or should I worry. I keep reading about slow or stopped fermentation.

Last question, when should I snap down the lid on the primary bucket and add the airlock.

Sorry for all the questions, but like I said, the more I read the more confused I get. Thanks all

Everything looks good as far as your temp and ferment. the fizz is the ferment working, which also when it is fermenting it will give off its own heat. 68 is a good temp. most issues occur in the winter when your rooms dip into the lower 60's. Wrapping your primary with a blanket helps or the brew belts work great.

I have all better bottles and i love them. As Dan mentioned one hand on the neck and one supporting the bottom. i even leave my airlocks in and have not had issues with moving them. I try to avoid moving them as i have made a roll out platform for 6 better bottles to sit on out of a furniture dolly. (rolls under my bar) Also i use a enolomatic bottler to rack and to bottle so i do not have to lift them to often. it also degasses. You can use a vacuum to degas, you just have to use lower pressure so you don't suck the sides in. works fine for me.

great advice, don't want to lose my first batch all over the basement floor.

Another newbie question - I know I should wait to ask, since I just started primary's last night, but can't. The more I read, the more I start to second guess myself. OK here goes

started WE Select Sauv. Blanc last night - SG at 1.093 temp at 72.
Also started Lodi Old Vine Zin - SG at 1.094 temp at 74

I covered both loosely with lid and covered with a clean towel. First question is "What should I expect for fermentation?" I hear a slight "fizzing" in each fermentor. Should it be more active or is this normal.

Secondly, the temp in my basement (only place the better half will allow the activity) is about 68 degrees. Is this adequate or should I worry. I keep reading about slow or stopped fermentation.

Last question, when should I snap down the lid on the primary bucket and add the airlock.

Sorry for all the questions, but like I said, the more I read the more confused I get. Thanks all

Relax!!! Have a cold one or a nice glass of commercial wine. :hug

It will fizz lightly at first, then pick up and likely foam up in a few days. However, sometimes it doesn't always foam. If it is already fizzing, it is fermenting. When it starts, how much it fizzes, when it stops are all very, very variable. It can differ with two identical kits setting side by side. The only important thing is that once it starts, the SG should fall some every day until it no longer falls for about three days in a row.

Temperature will rise on its own when fermentation gets really going. I use the glue-on style thermometers, which I glue onto the sides of my fermentor buckets and carboys. I glue them about halfway up the side. They are plenty accurate for this job.

Yours sounds like it is already fermenting, so no need to start with a brew belt this time. If must temperature is below about 72F, especially in the winter, I start with a brew belt on until it gets going really well; then I turn the belt off. Once fermentation slows, the temperature will again begin to drop back toward room temperature. When it does, I turn the belt back on, so the temperature does not go below about 72F. Now this is just me and my own fermentations; I have had issues with stuck fermentation when the temperature gets below about 68, so that is what I do.

The white will do best at a little lower temperature, but I would not try it until you get experienced.

Latest posts

Back