Stirring

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlietuna

Reaction score
When I was just out of college I worked in a chemical lab. We used large magnetic stir plates with stir bars that would spin inside the samples. some were very small & some were 2-3 inches that were controled by the stir plate. you could really create a strong vortex in a sample with these.

Has anyone ever tried to use a device like this to constantly stir the wine? I'm stirring my kit 2X a day with a large spoon. I'm just wondering if constant stirring would be good for extracting more flavor from oak & fruit.

On the other hand, would it potentally hinder the fermentation?

Just a thought.

Thanks,
Brian

Brian, a lot of us have the magnetic stirrer for running tests but not for fermenting. First off I couldn't imagine the one you would need for a 6 gallon carboy. Also most books will tell you to keep your wine in a place free of vibrations.

On the other hand if you could have a cost prohibitive stirrer that big and ran it on very low speed I couldn't see what it would hurt for the first ten days. Maybe we could just get one of those paint shakers like they use for mixing five gallon buckets. LMOA kidding!

Reckon this helps, I think it makes my must ferment faster. I stir the must good, then take my baster ( I think that is what you call it) (the thing with a squeez bulb on the end) and blow bubble in the must. My theory is that it puts 02 down in the botton and it bubbles up thru the must, putting 02 all thru the must. It seems to make it ferment faster????????

Semper Fi

Thanks for the thoughts. It was just something I was thinking about while I was stirring with a spoon. Speaking of that, I need to go stir a batch of cabernet.

Thanks again,
Brian

I have no experience with this, but I know my brother uses something similar for his starters (but not the main fermentation itself)

Latest posts

Back