Lafitte Cork

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all - you may have seen this on another post I did, but I have been designing and selling 3D printed Cork branding irons. Very inexpensive and you can do as many or as few corks as you like.

https://youtu.be/TnY6YQ6lJ_k

I made a side cork brand that turned out great. Many more available than what I say on the video.

At the end is a link to my email and store.

Getting ready to place an order again. These will be branded this time around. Branding is still $100 but the 1+1 corks went up to $140 per 1000. Still not a bad deal for a quality cork.

Its a great cork for sure. I did find out the hard way that even storing them in a corkador with an open container of KMETA and a sealed lid the shelf life is about 2 years. My last 100 corks out of my last order were used on 3 whites (kits) and all 3 wines have turned slightly brown after only 6-8 months in the bottle. Wines still taste great, just not looking like they did at bottling. I noticed when bottling the corks were feeling a little less soft to the touch when putting them into the floor corker.

Boatboy, I think you're right at 12 cents but not with shipping. Shipping costs me about 7 cents a cork but is reduced tremendously if you can get another person to buy a bag along with you and have them shipped to together. I order with another member and shipping is cut in half per cork.

Speaking of that, I am ready whenever you are. I am down to probably less than 100. Let me know when you are ready to order.

ok i'm going a little off subject, but beings all of yawl are talking cork i can think of no better place to ask, i have used 1+1, this and many, many more levels of natural cork and all from quality suppliers, no cheapies, and to be honest i have been unimpressed with all but FLOR quality corks,,, which are pricey, especially since unlike you purest i only ferment all natural, organic sweet to semi-sweet country wines, but i have been reading about Norma croc's a high quality synthetic cork, of which the have now had under cork for 18 ears now and according to that op-ed they say quality is contained both laying in racks as well as standing up, now remember my wine are country wines, not purist wines as all you, seem to do, my country wines are either from early 1800's recipes or of the top of my feeble mind, and the country wines i tend to make are far les complex then true grape wines, don't get me wrong to me i place as much value on my country wines as you purest folks, put on your traditional grape wines, so can i ask your opinions on these Norma croc's that as I've stated that they now (claim) to hold solid for 18 years so far,,
they make money claiming good things about their croc's ,, where as your pride and word are the point of reason of your opinions, I'd take your word over thiers an time, a venires word is his seal... i don't have much, and i make plenty of mistakes but my word is my be all end all..
thank you one an all for your time and knowledge,,,,, i have just receive a 100 lot of Norma croc's and i have 60 more FLOR CORKS left of which i plan to bottle a 6 gallon batch with 3 gallons of each, but that will be at least two year~s till i will get to taste, and in two more years good lord willing i will have bottled a few more bottles, and last but not least you and most of the rest on here has taught me to make wines i love the taste of and for that i am in your dep't,,, i feel great pride in my work, not coincident just pride,,, you are decent people and free with you knowledge, um does any of these flowery words get me maps to your cellars and accurate schedules of when your gone,, LMFAO
Dawg
Dawg

Last edited:
Reminds me I'm down to about 100 or so corks.

I think I'll try something different this time. If I recall correctly, it was @TonyT that broke his down into batches of 100 and sealed them in Foodsaver bags. I'm going to give that a shot.

Forgot to post that my corks arrived. Kept it simple.

What does 1000 of those run these days?? I am trying to convince SWMBO that we should go that way, with a simple design also. I can get 1000 corks for about $100 locally. Those don't have a name or anything nice like that on them.

Thanks

I would be interested, but I'm sure I won't bottle 1,000 bottles in two years. I would probably max out at around 300 per year.

I guess no branded corks for me. :(

I placed my 3rd order for 1000 back in August 2016. Paid the same as my previous order back in 2013. $120 for 1000. YMMV. No extra charge for the branding as I already paid the $100 fee on my first order back in 2011. Shipping is extra and expensive if you live on the east coast as they are in CA.

What does 1000 of those run these days?? I am trying to convince SWMBO that we should go that way, with a simple design also. I can get 1000 corks for about $100 locally. Those don't have a name or anything nice like that on them.

Thanks

Corks were $140 per 1000 for the 1+1 and another $100 for the branding. The branding fee is a one time fee though.

The $100 branding is a one-time fee, as Mike stated. Excluding that, my last order was $160 or $170, shipped. I was previously buying 100 at a time for Agglo 1+1's, which are currently $24.99/100 at MoreWine.

Just got my bill. $140 for 1000 1+1 corks, $100 die charge as a one time fee and $40.40 in shipping to Pittsburgh from Napa CA. Shipping was 59 last time I ordered.

Ordered another round today. Easy, peasy with just a phone call to Nate. $140 for 1,000 custom, plus shipping - and they don't even ask for payment. IIRC, last time, I just got an email after they shipped saying 'please call us with payment info'.

The same corks (without logo) are $169 from MoreWiine, with free shipping. They can be found cheaper, I think; but I like my custom corks. ;)

Ordered another round today. Easy, peasy with just a phone call to Nate. $140 for 1,000 custom, plus shipping - and they don't even ask for payment. IIRC, last time, I just got an email after they shipped saying 'please call us with payment info'.

The same corks (without logo) are $169 from MoreWiine, with free shipping. They can be found cheaper, I think; but I like my custom corks. ;)

Funny you should post this, corked 62 bottles this weekend and was noticing that the supply was getting down below a couple of hundred. Was thinking t'll be time to ante up again soon and get another batch on the way. Gotta love Lafitte........

Doug, I agree. I have been using them for years. I think it's time for you to spend the $100 and get 'em branded.

I wanted to do this, but I heard you need 1,000 cork order. I just do not bottle remotely that many wines in a year. I've already had to toss out corks I purchased last year due to you could see them drying out.

I would pay the $100 for it if I could buy a smaller amount of corks.

I wanted to do this, but I heard you need 1,000 cork order. I just do not bottle remotely that many wines in a year. I've already had to toss out corks I purchased last year due to you could see them drying out.

I would pay the $100 for it if I could buy a smaller amount of corks.

My last order was in 2014. Admittedly, I've had a few dried out corks of late, but nothing too bad - and I wasn't super careful with storage. With this order, I plan to break it into mini batches of 100 and seal them up in Foodsaver bags. @tonyt did that a while back, but he hasn't been posting for a while, so I'm not sure how effective it was for him. Sounds like a good idea though.

Latest posts

Back