Buying local honey

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no need to pressure pack, hot pack honey. the cloves and cinnamon sticks contribute nothing that can infect the honey, Although I am not sure about the pulp from the lemon wedges the acidity in the juice leaves little concern and the rind will not cause spoilage either. Honey is a natural antiseptic, as such creates an environment that prevents spoilage. The warming may help infuse the flavors of the spices, but they do not improve resistance against spoilage. A bit of time would also infuse the spices.

Ha goldenrod honey smalls like old musty gym shorts.. But to each their own..

Ha goldenrod honey smalls like old musty gym shorts.. But to each their own..

Of course you are correct all knowing one. ! I will not question your infinite wisdom again.

It does not matter weather it is the ingredients, techniques, methodology, or formula used in tanning, wine making, baking, auto racing, beekeeping, painting, or any of the other millions of activities participated in by mankind, from the brands we use to the color we prefer. Humans as a whole believe their personal choices are the best there are.
Most every individual believes they are the perfect example of the creation of mankind,. To chose, use, recommend, or defend as the absolute best in any of the above, that they do not personally use would be a blatant admission that they themselves are imperfect. The rational that “I am perfect, therefore everything I do is perfect. Any other way is also imperfect, for where it the best I would surly use it.”
It is the circular thinking of the closed mind. A rational that proves itself in its own irrational belief. The thing about this is most people apply this thinking to only a portion of their existence. And set boundaries as to where the rule of application applies.

For example John Doe uses a synthetic tanning solution to tan his leather. It is the best he says. Clean, environmentally friendly, fast, durable, little shrinkage, Bla bla.

Although brain tan has bee used for hundreds of years and has stood the test of time John cannot even conceive that brain tan may possibly be just as good, and there is no way he could recognize or admit that under any circumstances it may be better, to do so would make him fallible

The world is full of different people, even Identical twins have differences in opinion as to likes and dislikes.

The reality of life is the things an individual chooses are at that point in time are the best, at least for them. And only until something bigger and better comes along in there mind. However, it does not necessarily mean they are the best for everyone under every circumstance.

Those who benefit most from the great selection and wondrous opportunity to experience the multitude of new and great things our world has to offer, are those who chose to keep an open mind to the possibility that new and different things exist outside their comfort zone. That their knowledge is not absolute!

I got some of the goldenrod honey smells fine and taste good to me. Is not as sweet smelling as the orange blossom but I am happy with it. I would like to try different kinds.

I got some of the goldenrod honey smells fine and taste good to me. Is not as sweet smelling as the orange blossom but I am happy with it. I would like to try different kinds.

I still have honey left from this past year. This honey came from some strawberry fields that my bees pollinated, if your interested.

I still have honey left from this past spring. This honey came from some strawberry fields that my bees pollinated, if your interested.

I still have honey left from this past spring. This honey came from some strawberry fields that my bees pollinated, if your interested.

You just implied the original poster enjoys the aroma and flavor of "old musty gym shorts.."

And you expect they would like to buy honey from you? " To each their own..":br

You just implied the original poster enjoys the aroma and flavor of "old musty gym shorts.."

And you expect they would like to buy honey from you? " To each their own..":br

Haha no. But if you were yo smell my bee yard in the fall you would know what I'm talking about, it does smell like a locker room.. Maybe what someone else is calling goldenrod is different than what blooms here in SC. This honey was pulled in early August and has hints of strawberry. Very good with an amber color. I'm sorry you took offense to my opinion of what goldenrod honey smelled and tasted like. Maybe commercial processing makes it more mild idk. But the raw form made me gag when I tasted it right out of the hive..

It is not I you should apologize to. The OP (original poster) stated they had purchased some of the local goldenrod honey and thought it tasted good. To which you responded. "Goldenrod honey does not taste good. When I pointed out that different individuals have different concepts of likes and dislikes, you emphatically responded with a vile disgusting description of the product the OP was consuming., Implying the OP and any other who liked Goldenrod honey were somehow flawed. You are entitled to your opinion, however, when expressing that opinion is done for no other reason than to belittle another it is wrong.

You are a beekeeper so that makes your opinion absolute! Well My friend you are about to get an education.

Solidago AKA Goldenrod is the same through the United States with no local variations In all states except Hawaii where it does no grow. The same holds true of Canada where it inhabits it's entirety. It smell, looks, and taste the same everywhere.

Apis Honey bee of which apis mellifera is the most common of the 27 species within the US. play little role in the pollination of Fragaria (Strawberries) which bloom in April and May By late may the strawberry farms in Virginia are Picking, So I am sure the same is true in your area. Taking into account the number of plants favored by Honeybees blooming during this period, The low nectar production of strawberries combined with the fact the majority of them bloom at a time when bees are busy trying to strengthen their depleted overwintered colonies leaves little excess honey production that can be attributed to Strawberries, A pollen count of honey extracted in August from hives sitting on a strawberry fields of immense acreage would reveal less than 4% Strawberry pollen. Hardly enough to consider let alone effect flavor.
When One calls into question the ability of another to distinguish flavor, they really should be sure their own is accurate.

And yes I know what goldenrod smells like, I have farmed all my life, I have mowed more goldenrod than many a city boy has ever seen. and I have done hive checks on all of my from 12 to 1000 hives during August-October, I also know the smell of purple sage being mowed on the western slope. Both are pungent, but sweet to those who love the earth they sprang from.

Care to discuss Neonicitoids?

Yeah, it is often good too bee careful whenever you bash on something that someone might end up liking. But, all in all ya know to each his own when it comes to personal taste right?

Haha you are so very sensitive.. I explained once that no offense was ment.. And of corse you are the authority on this and all subjects.. I humbly step down. The crown is and has always been yours. Your grace ✌️ Roar on my friend

Last edited:
Haha you are so very sensitive.. I explained once that no offense was ment.. And of corse you are the authority on this and all subjects.. I humbly step down. The crown is and has always been yours. Your grace ✌️ Roar on my friend

Maybe if you did not preface every reply with Ha, or HAHA one would take your condescending comments with an err of sincerity.

Ferb ok excepted. I do like the honey I bought I'm sure that there are different degrees and flavors of honey. Some I bet are knock out great others good. Different flavors I don't know I only have tried orange blossom from kroger grocery store organic though and the goldenrod I have now. And of course clover honey that easily found at the store. Which I'm sure doesn't count a lot of these have added corn syrup in it anyhow.what I bought doesn't have a strong odor or taste maybe it has other flowers in it. Any how I have enjoyed all the information I am getting about bees and honey from everybody. If I call her and she says she can get me more is that ok it is late in the season. Also about 18 outside I just want enough to make some mead.

Spunk Depending on how much mead you wish to make, it does not take a lot of honey. A mead with a lower alcohol content requires less honey than one with high alcohol content. I have made a gallon with just over a pound of honey. determining the tolerances of your yeast, and setting your specific gravity to be fermented to where you want your alcohol content to be is the trick. I learned to make mead a long tome ago. Before computers, and easy access the wisdom of others. In a day when 17 year olds could not even check wine or mead making literature from the local library. So I depended on information given to me from an old man, So some of the techniques I use may not be up to date. However I can assure you they work, I like to make large batches rather than small for a number of reasons, 1 it takes a long time to finish a mead, 2 it is easier to adjust a larger batch, 3 I like meads.

lets suppose you want to make a mead with between 11 and 14% alcohol.

The basics are: start with a gallon of water. add un-crystalized honey and stir, Checking specific gravity (SG) frequently. Since SG of 1.095 has a potential alcohol of 12.9% and a SG of 1.100 has a potential alcohol of 13.6% I would look to set my starting SG within those parameters. I would then add 3/4 tsp acid blend, kmet per manufactures instruction. and let stand 24 hours. yeast nutrient per manufactures directions and yeast. For this I would choose Red Star Cote Des Blanc because it has an alcohol tolerance of 14% and brings out any fruity flavors in the honey. I start it right in the carboy, holding out 2 quarts of must without yeast until the initial Aerobic fermentation, then top the carboy with it. Allow to ferment to dryness. Rack and let sit 30 to 45 days. Then rack and let stand until clear, rack again, as needed every 30 to 45 days until no sediment falls in a 30 day period. If you like your mead sweeter, Mix honey with just enough water to make to poor easily add 1/4 tsp potassium sorbate per cup to prevent re-fermentation sweeten to taste. let stand a week and bottle. allow to age at least 6 months.
It is fairly simple, but time is important. Mead Oxidizes easily so the carboy should always be topped off to minimize surface area, and when racking the mead should have no fall from the syphon tube. Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks I made a mead this past Feb I bottled it up this past summer my first. It turned out really good drank some and saving rest for a year or more. Still learning as I go most recipies I have read have around 3 lbs or so. That is what I used on mine this past winter. It turned out well so I think I want to keep it that way I think i'll try adding fruit this time. It turned out better than my first wines.

I really want to make another mead do you think it is ok to mix different kinds of honey's for one mead? Thanks

I really want to make another mead do you think it is ok to mix different kinds of honey's for one mead? Thanks

Most assuredly. When you take into consideration, with the exception of honey from supers placed Immediately prior to a bloom favored by bees, and removed immediately after, most honey is a mixture of different verities of nectar when extracted. Hence the reason a lot of honey is labeled Wild flower honey.

I bought some more honey a quart of wild flower wow wow is it good. I want to make blueberry bergamot and maybe a bit of lemon verbena. Honey is so good im getting another quart want some just to eat.

Latest posts

Back