Adding Cinnamon sticks to Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynn1

Junior
Reaction score
I need to know if anyone has used Cinnamon sticks in wine kits
smiley1.gif
?
I have a RJS Washington Merlot ( with skins) and Oak saw dust (which I don't like) in first fermentation and ready to rack to Carboy on Saturday. Can I add Cinnamon sticks and what does it do to the taste? How many stick to 6 gal kit? Ect, ect,, Me the newby with only 5 kits completed needs help. Thanks Lynn
smiley3.gif

I dont think I would do that, BUT, the most important thing for your wines are what YOU like.

I would suggest you ferment this kit as is..... Then do a bench trial with adding some cinnamon to a small amount of the wine and see what you think...... If you like it, you can do it to the rest. If you dont like it, you still have a good merlot.

I heartily agree with Goodfella. I would never risk an entire batch on expermentation with an unknown

I like the thought of adding a element to a wine to make it not just a merlo,but your signature,I have used different spices in wines to give a basic wine a different twist,their are some rules to learn,first you need to under stand the extract oils and compounds that the different elements exclude,Cinnamon,is and can be very strong my advice to you is yes try it,in a 1 gallon batch thats enough to really work with start with 1 stink not powder and let it set for 1 month,then decide if you feel its enough,you need to added another or you really don't like its value to this wine,but by almeans try ,,thats the fun of it,,don't get into a rut just doing the same old thing under a different brand every time..TRY>>>>>>>>>>

joeswine said:
I like the thought of adding a element to a wine to make it not just a merlo,but your signature,I have used different spices in wines to give a basic wine a different twist,their are some rules to learn,first you need to under stand the extract oils and compounds that the different elements exclude,Cinnamon,is and can be very strong my advice to you is yes try it,in a 1 gallon batch thats enough to really work with start with 1 stink not powder and let it set for 1 month,then decide if you feel its enough,you need to added another or you really don't like its value to this wine,but by almeans try ,,thats the fun of it,,don't get into a rut just doing the same old thing under a different brand every time..TRY>>>>>>>>>>

smiley20.gif

smiley20.gif

Latest posts

Back