First All Grape Wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long you plan on keeping them on the skins? just thru primary? I didn't use all the skins on ours because I wasn't sure if I should. Just did a small batch, sort of a trial run this year, so we ended up with about two five gallon buckets of juice and added about 4-5 heaping handfuls of skins to each bucket

Ferment on the skins through primary (pressing). Once you press, let the juice settle for 24 hours or so, then rack of the gross lees and pitch your MLB.

How long you plan on keeping them on the skins? just thru primary? I didn't use all the skins on ours because I wasn't sure if I should. Just did a small batch, sort of a trial run this year, so we ended up with about two five gallon buckets of juice and added about 4-5 heaping handfuls of skins to each bucket

You might give this a read: MoreWine Guide to Red Winemaking

Last night Zin was at 1.048 and the Cab/Merlot 1.055. Have been punching down 3 times daily and added nutrient again last night. Most likely last nutrient addition and with any luck we get to 1.000 around Saturday to press

So I may have a potential dilemma on my hands. Over the past 24 hours the specific gravity in both the Zin and Cab blend dropped significantly to 1.012 and 1.008. My fear is another significant drop in sg over night and into tomorrow. I was hoping to press over the weekend as pressing after work with prep and clean up is less than ideal time wise.

My question is has anyone pressed when the sg dropped below 1.000 or should I prepare for a lot of possible work after my day job tomorrow?

Any insight or advice is appreciated. I just want to be ready in case tomorrow or Friday becomes an unplanned press day/night.

So I may have a potential dilemma on my hands. Over the past 24 hours the specific gravity in both the Zin and Cab blend dropped significantly to 1.012 and 1.008. My fear is another significant drop in sg over night and into tomorrow. I was hoping to press over the weekend as pressing after work with prep and clean up is less than ideal time wise.

My question is has anyone pressed when the sg dropped below 1.000 or should I prepare for a lot of possible work after my day job tomorrow?

Any insight or advice is appreciated. I just want to be ready in case tomorrow or Friday becomes an unplanned press day/night.

Personally, I wouldn't fret over it. You'll be fine till Saturday. What is your cap doing?

Then, yes - I think you're fine. But, I'm not a seasoned veteran.

Thanks for the advice/input. If it does drop to 1.000 or below would you take any additional precautions to protect the wine until Saturday?

You're fine - it'll slow down a bit. I've pressed below 1.000 several times with no issue. I actually prefer it, if it means more time on the skins. There's a lot of CO2 in there still.

You're fine - it'll slow down a bit. I've pressed below 1.000 several times with no issue. I actually prefer it, if it means more time on the skins. There's a lot of CO2 in there still.

Thanks-good to know and definitely helps for peace of mind. I too am looking for as much skins contact as reasonably possible.

Nooo..... When you crush grapes you use everything that came with them. Unless you are making white or Rose.

I seldom press until the cap falls without regard to the sg. It is often right below 1.000

The SG is sitting at 1.001 on both wines. Will check SG in the morning again. In the meantime, getting the press, buckets, carboys etc cleaned and sanitized in prep for pressing on Saturday morning. Caps are still present as well so I feel confident all is well until the weekend.

Checked SG this morning and Zin is at 1.000 and Cab at .998. We may press this evening over a bottle of something!

Ended up pressing last night. Overall, went pretty well however there are definitely a few things I'd do differently in terms of overall set up. But, live and learn.

There is at least an inch of sediment at the bottom of the Cab carboy and much less on the Zin. This I know is a direct result of some fumbling on my end. I'll rack off the gross lees today and pitch MLB.

Latest posts

Back