WineXpert Storing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumby

Wine improves with age, I improve with wine
Reaction score
What's your thoughts on storing cases directly on a tile floor? I have a sauna in my basement I converted to a wine cellar that has a tile floor. I've been storing my cases on the floor. Should I put some wood under them to get them up off the floor?

The only issue I can think of is that if your cases are cardboard and the tile floor gets damp you might have bottles falling through the box when you go to lift the box.

The reason I asked is because I noticed on Winexpert's website it states don't store/age wine directly on the floor. I use synthetic corks and store most of my bottles upright.

The reason I asked is because I noticed on Winexpert's website it states don't store/age wine directly on the floor. I use synthetic corks and store most of my bottles upright.
I sent WE a picture of my wine in cases laying in a crawlspace in my basement. The reply was that was OK. BTW, Synthetic corks are not a perfect closure, and can occasionally leak. you should lay your bottles down, so at least you can get a warning.

I agree totally Synthetic corks can be a real pain,any times they will have a channel an if you don't store your bottles in their sides you will have no idea that you do not have a complete seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I also use synthetic corks - but I add the extra insurance by waxing the top of the cork to maje sure I proper closure

Back