Cold box wine storage project

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did something I swore I would never do....expand the wine box. The size of the box was my self imposed constraint to limit the size of the hobby. The circumstances this year are that I am committed to having to store three 60 gallon barrels. There was not practical way to do this in the existing box. I added a 4 foot wide extension all the way around to give me more than enough space. We have been challenged with 100 plus degree weather all week and the AC has kept the expanded wine box in it's 65-69 degree range without struggle.

I still have to fill the cracks and foam seal on the door. I'll worry about the cosmetics after the grape season. On to the next chapter of the wine box...or perhaps now wine room : )
wine room2.jpg
wine room1.jpg

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.........

You live in wine country now. Embrace it! LOL

I did something I swore I would never do....expand the wine box. The size of the box was my self imposed constraint to limit the size of the hobby. The circumstances this year are that I am committed to having to store three 60 gallon barrels. There was not practical way to do this in the existing box. I added a 4 foot wide extension all the way around to give me more than enough space. We have been challenged with 100 plus degree weather all week and the AC has kept the expanded wine box in it's 65-69 degree range without struggle.

I still have to fill the cracks and foam seal on the door. I'll worry about the cosmetics after the grape season. On to the next chapter of the wine box...or perhaps now wine room : )
View attachment 91920
View attachment 91921

You have gotten your $$$ worth out of that unit.

I got mine at Sam's back in June 2010 for about the same price so 12 years now. It cools the winery down to 64 in the heat of the Summer day after day. You win for high temps that's for sure!

1662512538189.jpeg

This wine box (room) is getting put to the test! As many are experiencing these record highs, my Walmart AC unit is putting in the work to keep my wine cool.
View attachment 92632
View attachment 92631

I feel for you, @NorCal. I lived in Loomis 1981 to 2005. Somehow I saw the handwriting on the wall. That and I was getting homesick. I came home November 2005, not regretting the move but leaving friends and acquaintances. My basement serves as my winery and tasting room, the weather here is totally different than Loomis.

I feel for you, @NorCal. I lived in Loomis 1981 to 2005. Somehow I saw the handwriting on the wall. That and I was getting homesick. I came home November 2005, not regretting the move but leaving friends and acquaintances. My basement serves as my winery and tasting room, the weather here is totally different than Loomis.
I was just in Columbus OH a few weeks ago. Great downtown area.

Back