Other 2014 limited wine kits - what are you planning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
Below are the Limiteds & Restricted kits for 2014. Some old favorites and some new and interesting. I love doing the limiteds, some are huge surprises like the Petit Verdot a few years ago. And some turn out to be disappointments. But for me they are always fun. If I have left any out pm me and I will edit the list. Chime in with your thoughts, hopes & desires.

[FONT=&quot]2014 limited wine kits[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Winexpert Kits:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]South African Shiraz Cabernet - January (with grape skins)
South African Viognier/Chenin Blanc/Roussanne - January
Pacific Quartet (Viognier, Chenin Blanc, Gewurztraminer, and Muscat) - February
Oregon Pinot Noir - March (no grape skins)
Red Mountain, Washington Cabernet Merlot - April (no grape skins)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]RJS RQ Kits:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Argentine Torrontes – December[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Australian Shiraz/Viognier - December ([/FONT][FONT=&quot]Dried grape skins)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Australian Semillon/Sauvignon Blanc - December[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Italian Nero D'Avola - March ([/FONT][FONT=&quot]no skins)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Spanish Monastrell/Petit Verdot - March (Dried grape skins)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Kenridge Showcase Collection:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Spanish Tempranillo/Garnacha - December (no grape skins)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Australian Shiraz/Grenache - January (with grape skins)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Australian Reisling/Gewurztraminer/Chardonnay - January[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Italian Primitivo - February (no grape skins)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]California Grand Red II - March (with grape skins)[/FONT]

Mosti Mondaile Meglioli
Negromaro Italy – March
Old Vine Zinfandel (American) with ALLGRAPE Pack – March
Sicilian Prmitivo with AllGrape Pack – February
Pinot Noir with Pinot Noir AllGrape Pack (USA) – February
Amarone Mondiale with AllGrape Pack - February
Barolo with AllGrape Pack – January
Chardonnay del Veneto - January
Malvasia Aromatica (Bianca)- March
Marzemino with AllGrape Pack – February
Moscato Italiano – January
Negromaro – March
Rojo Grande with AllGrape Pack – January
Shiraz (Australian Style) with AllGrape Pack – March

Last edited:
I'm probably not going to do any of them because I haven't been making wine lately. However, here's what appeals to me...

WE Oregon Pinot Noir - although I haven't made much Pinot Noir, I've liked what I've made
RJS Austr Shiraz/Viognier - made the 2007 version (no skins, and not Australian though) and loved it
KRS Austr Shiraz/Grenache - I tend to like Shiraz blends

Steve

Steve

Okay, I have narrowed it down to:

WE Red Mountain Cab/Merlot
RJS Italian Nero D'Avola
Kenridge Spanish Tempranillo Garnacha
Kenridge Australian Shiraz/Grenache
Mosti Old Vine Zin
Mosti Pinot Noir

I still need a White, I did the Chard del Vineto from Mosti last year and may do it again after I taste it. Also thinking about the Mosti Sicilian Prmitivo but not sure how similar to the OVZ it might be.

Here are my impressions:

WE South African Shiraz/cab with skins-- love this blend--also with skins

WE Oregon Pinot Noir--I did two Pinot's-one was the CC LR-really like Commercial
Pinot's from oregon-It has a different flavor profile
than California. Rarely offered in a kit.

WE Red Mountain Cab/Merlot--Classic blend. I like all things Red Mountain.

Kenridge Spanish Tempranillo/Garnacha--Same blend as RJS Toro-One of my favorite
wines I have made.

RJS Spanish Monastrell/Petit Verdot--I did the WE Petit Verdot w/skins.The Limited edition was before I started making wine-darn. The one I made has been an enigma. Seems to have gone through many down periods. I didn't think much of it at 12 months. At 14 months it was fantastic. At 18 months I thought it didn't age well. At two its fantastic again. Lol.

RJS Italian Nero D'Avola--Just found this varietal-thanks Tony-the WE Nero with skins is just out of the clearing stage. Seems to have a lot of potential-I really like Italian wines.

I did way too many whites in late 2011 and early 2012. Several are approaching 2 years old with too many left. What was I thinking? I don't need any whites.

With that said I have 9 wines in the que and really need another barrel. I think out of the above list I will do 1 or 2 and get another barrel for the ones I am about to make.

Kenridge Spanish Tempranillo/Garnacha--Same blend as RJS Toro-One of my favorite
wines I have made.

Ditto that Earl. The RJS Toro was made in the [FONT=&quot]Crianza style[/FONT] and used a bit of French oak. I will swap whatever oak comes (if not specifically French) for my own French spirals. Then it will have a few months in a neutral barrel.

I believe I'll be doing the Australian Shiraz/Viognier
I did the Spanish Tempranillo .It was good but I think I'll try something different.

South African Shiraz Cabernet and the Monastrell Petite Verdot for me!

The WE South African Shiraz Cabernet with grape skins is REALLY tempting me.....!! I wonder what kind of oak it will have.

I am so confused the Shiraz / Viognier blends a red and a white? I haven't seen this before is it a new trend or an Australian kinda thing? Any thoughts on this kit?

Believe I'll pass this year, I'm leaning toward the WE Esclipse Zin & Sonoma Chard, maybe the Cellar Craft Walla Walla Cab/Merlot and the Amarone 2.6

I am so confused the Shiraz / Viognier blends a red and a white? I haven't seen this before is it a new trend or an Australian kinda thing? Any thoughts on this kit?

It's actually an Australian take on a French thing! Viognier adds floral notes, softens the wine, and stablizes the color. The Northern Rhone area of France produces blends of Syrah with white grapes such as Viognier (mostly), Roussanne, and Marsanne. It's most common in Cote-Rotie, though. Viognier is typically between 5-20% of the blend. The AOC rules require that the Syrah and Viognier grapes be fermented together, and from what I understand the vines are grown mixed together with the grapes being harvest at the same time. You can also blend post-fermentation, but supposedly the effect is not quite the same.

Probably the most famous blend of red and white grapes is Champagne (permitted grapes are Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, and Pinot Meunier).

Thanks for taking the time to put this together Tony!

Here is my definitely list:

Oregon Pinot Noir - March (no grape skins)
Spanish Monastrell/Petit Verdot - March (with grape skins)

Here is my probably list:

Australian Semillon/Sauvignon Blanc - December
California Grand Red II - March (with grape skins)

Here is my maybe list:

Australian Shiraz/Viognier - December (with grape skins)
Spanish Tempranillo/Garnacha - December (no grape skins)
Australian Reisling/Gewurztraminer/Chardonnay - January

For me, the whites are probably the most up in the air right now. I already have a Reisling blend going hence the reason why it's at the bottom of my list. This is such as unique blend though and I might end up not pre-ordering and hoping to snag one next spring.

-Josh

I ordered TWO Showcase Calif Gran Red II yesterday from George at the Winemakers Toy Store. Opened first bottle from last years to see how it was progressing & it was awesome!! So I ordered 2!! Roy

FYI y'all
If you are considering ordering the RJS RQ 2014 red kits there is question as to which, if any, red kits come with dried grape skins or grape pack or neither. I have contacted RJS copporate to verify which kits come with grape skins or grape pack and which one do not. They (RJS) have conflicting information on line and in their printed sell sheet. They are now aware of the discrepancy and will get back with me in a few hours. I suggest anyone considering the RJS RQs verify the existence of skins or no skins in whichever kit you order. I will edit my post as soon as RJS confirms skins or no skins and apologize for the mistake. and thank you Zalai for questioning the accuracy of my original post since it did not match your information.

That was quick, It apears that my origional post was correct after all for RJS RQ.
[FONT=&quot]Australian Shiraz/Viognier - December ([/FONT][FONT=&quot]Genuwine dried grape skins)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Spanish Monastrell/Petit Verdot - March ([/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Genuwine dried grape skins[/FONT])[/FONT]
I'm still going to get the Nero, I can steal a pack of raisins from one of the Mosti kits, they come with skins and raisins.

Again, sorry for the confusion, at least Spagnols now knows they have conflicting marketing going on.

Thanks

It's actually an Australian take on a French thing! Viognier adds floral notes, softens the wine, and stablizes the color. The Northern Rhone area of France produces blends of Syrah with white grapes such as Viognier (mostly), Roussanne, and Marsanne. It's most common in Cote-Rotie, though. Viognier is typically between 5-20% of the blend. The AOC rules require that the Syrah and Viognier grapes be fermented together, and from what I understand the vines are grown mixed together with the grapes being harvest at the same time. You can also blend post-fermentation, but supposedly the effect is not quite the same.

Probably the most famous blend of red and white grapes is Champagne (permitted grapes are Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, and Pinot Meunier).

Wow, Thank you for an articulate, thorough and informed answer! I appreciate it very much! I will now likely need to add this to my list!!

That was quick, It apears that my origional post was correct after all for RJS RQ.
[FONT=&quot]Australian Shiraz/Viognier - December ([/FONT][FONT=&quot]Genuwine dried grape skins)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Spanish Monastrell/Petit Verdot - March ([/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Genuwine dried grape skins[/FONT])[/FONT]
I'm still going to get the Nero, I can steal a pack of raisins from one of the Mosti kits, they come with skins and raisins.

Again, sorry for the confusion, at least Spagnols now knows they have conflicting marketing going on.

Thanks Tony

Shiraz/Viognier was a limited edition in WE range of 2010. I did it then, it was very good straight out of the carboy, then it turned into sweetish rubbish for more than 1 year and finally, at about 2+ years, it became very pleasant. I just finished the last bottle a week ago.
Unfortunately RJS is not available in the UK, otherwise I would definitely get it.
I haven't decided what I get from KRS and WE red range available here, but I am definitely getting Pacific Quartet for my white needs.

I ordered two kits: the Shiraz/Cab and Cab/Merlot. Both should be good and they are really inexpensive this year.

Richard

I was certain I was going to order the Red Mountain Cab/Merlot, but I am hesitating because of the lack of skins. My CC Showcase Walla Walla Cab Merlot is very delicious.

May have to do the SA Cab/Shiraz instead.

Latest posts

Back