What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight was really nice. We had a guest over; I have known him a long time, but he only recently decided to move to this area. He has been through a very rough patch, and we had a lot to catch up on. Accordingly, there are no pix to share, as we were busy lending a sympathetic ear.

However, here was the evening's fare. I had started sous vide short ribs two days ago; coincidentally, I had made an extra one, and so I was able to invite our guest at the spur of the moment for a normally-plan-long-in-advance meal. We also made braised/glazed carrots in a Balsamic vinegar sauce; roasted artichokes with lemon and EVOO; a mushroom/shallots/wine/beef stock reduction with lots of garlic and fresh thyme; and smashed potatoes. We also gorged on nice sourdough bread that our guest brought from a local bakery. We didn't even touch the artichokes, that's how sated we were. Yum!
I'm not seeing any wine or other alcohol, does the meal count without it? It's either pictures or booze, or it didn't happen in my humble opinion (that is a stab at my kids and their "short hand").

I'm not seeing any wine or other alcohol, does the meal count without it? It's either pictures or booze, or it didn't happen in my humble opinion (that is a stab at my kids and their "short hand").

Alcohol?? CHECK! Our guest brought a wine with which I was unfamiliar. It was a ~$25 red Cotes de Provence ( from Tibouren Clos Cibonne) not that that means anything to you or me. In addition, I had opened a cheapish commercial Merlot (a 2016 Clos du Bois) for the wine reduction sauce for the short ribs. I used about half of that to saucify the beef, and about half to saucify my liver. After those were dead, our attention turned to some Argentinian Malbecs from kits; I gave him a good one (CC Showcase) to take home, and opened a "meh" one (WE SI) for immediate consumption.

I have move to my brother's house. Power is still out (after 7 days) at my house.

As a reward, I offered to shop and cook dinner. Gratitude mandated that I let my brother choose the menu. While smiling, he made the request of Roast Beef and all the trimmings.

OK.

So roast beef it was...

After taking the chill off of the bottom round, I scored the fat cap, then dusted the roast in salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

I placed a rough mirepoix (celery, onion, and carrots) in the bottom of the pan, then place the roast (fat side up) on top. I then baked at at 450 for 20 minutes, lowered to 325, and continued to cook to an internal temp of 120. I then let the roast rest for 30 minutes.

While the meat rested, I poured off most of the fat in the pan, then added beef stock to extract flavor from the mirepoix and melt the fond. I then strained it and then mixed in a roux. I then cooked it until I got a thick gravy. This was the best gravy EVER!

I also made mashed potatoes, Lightly steamed haricot verts, and some really nice yeast rolls (frozen but nice).

Unfortunately, this is my only pic. This is the roast just before going into the oven...

thumbnail.jpg

MAN!! y'all need to try this gravy method. I made a double batch and it is all gone! For all of my British friends out there, all I can say is...

Bleck, Bisto!

I placed a rough mirepoix (celery, onion, and carrots) in the bottom of the pan...

...while the meat rested, I poured off most of the fat in the pan, then added beef stock to extract flavor from the mirepoix and melt the fond. I then strained it and then mixed in a roux. I then cooked it until I got a thick gravy. This was the best gravy EVER!

I've taken to doing chicken in a similar manner. Deglaze w/ a stick of butter and a little white wine, mix up a roux, then add stock for the best gravy ever. And it only takes a few minutes.

@JohnT, my wife walked by (to put some laundry in) and chirped out "Whas that?". She wants me to make your "gravy", I'll have to use some GF flour for the roux. Our local Giant had really nice looking chuck roasts on sale for $1.29/lb, but alas, when I got to the Giant today, the sale ended yesterday. Oh well, picked up a nice 6 lb roaster chicken for $6, hopefully the wind will die down and I can get the weber bullet smokin'.

Pizza night, wasn't into it. Made the dough when I got home from work (actually turned out well for only being 2.5 hrs old) and made a cheese pizza for the masses. Picked up some Terranetti's rolls on the way home to make my new favorite food, cubano sandwich. Didn't have any mojo pork, so added some pulled chicken thigh from the other night. Also added some spicy banana pepper rings for a zing. The rolls upon heating in the skillet developed a nice crusty texture on the outside and a steamy/creamy/bready interior. Much better than the cubano bread I tried to make a few months ago (and cheaper).

3-9-18_cubano.jpg

@JohnT, my wife walked by (to put some laundry in) and chirped out "Whas that?". She wants me to make your "gravy", I'll have to use some GF flour for the roux. Our local Giant had really nice looking chuck roasts on sale for $1.29/lb, but alas, when I got to the Giant today, the sale ended yesterday. Oh well, picked up a nice 6 lb roaster chicken for $6, hopefully the wind will die down and I can get the weber bullet smokin'.

Pizza night, wasn't into it. Made the dough when I got home from work (actually turned out well for only being 2.5 hrs old) and made a cheese pizza for the masses. Picked up some Terranetti's rolls on the way home to make my new favorite food, cubano sandwich. Didn't have any mojo pork, so added some pulled chicken thigh from the other night. Also added some spicy banana pepper rings for a zing. The rolls upon heating in the skillet developed a nice crusty texture on the outside and a steamy/creamy/bready interior. Much better than the cubano bread I tried to make a few months ago (and cheaper).
View attachment 47093

Is corn starch gluten free? You could always use that.

Is corn starch gluten free? You could always use that.
Yes, some are and some aren't, depends on what else they make in the location that they produce it in. If it's truly a GF (in a circle) kinda place, they usually have a whole separate area where the raw ingredients come into the plant away from any wheat or barley type grains. Same with a restaurant, they can say they are GF but won't get certified unless they have a whole separate kitchen and cooking utensils to make the food. Buying GF ingredients are one thing, cooking GF is another (we have separate pots/pans/plates/silverwear/measuring spoons etc for our GF guy).

Humph, I was planning on cooking inside and making some meatball subs, but then when I walked out around noon, noticed it was pretty nice and my southern exposure where I normally set up my smoker seemed pretty wind free. So started up the smoker, used some apple wood, did a few boneless pork rib pieces (had been marinated in mojo) for my favorite sandwich tomorrow for lunch, and threw on a cheap 6 lb chicken, with a bit of salt/pepper/oil/rosemary. Turned out really moist and smokey, did have to plop it on the gas grill for a few minutes to get it to progress above the 145*F as it was 15 minutes before dinner.

Now if I had a traeger pellet grill, probably wouldn't have to think so much when cooking...

3-10-18_dinner-1.jpg 3-10-18_dinner-2.jpg 3-10-18_dinner-3.jpg

Forget Traeger. Traeger is the Big Green Egg of pellet grills. Go to Wallymart and take a look at the Pit Boss AustinXL. or the Pit Boss 820. Way less than a Traeger and built better.

Now if I had a traeger pellet grill, probably wouldn't have to think so much when cooking...

There are a number of Amish market out by me.

A real treat is Amish pot pie. This is not a pit but a rich, thick, buttery noodle casserole. Yum!

I always wanted to try making one, so this is my first attempt and it came out pretty close...

I made it with bonless, skinless chicken thighs.
I also made some home made rye bread to go with it.

IMG_20180311_071558.jpg

Forget Traeger. Traeger is the Big Green Egg of pellet grills. Go to Wallymart and take a look at the Pit Boss AustinXL. or the Pit Boss 820. Way less than a Traeger and built better.

I saw the Traeger at Costco and to me that unit is really well built, although pricey.

Well, I haven't saved up enough for one yet, lawn tractor needs replaced first. Gives me time to look around and get ideas from others who have the different units. Only reason I said Traeger is that they now have a big display in our local East Berlin hardware store which is now an Ace. I went down to get a bag of charcoal yesterday morning. I could probably just buy a 20 lb bag of pellets and do fine with my Weber bullet smoker and gas grill. I make up foil packets for the gas grill and they seem to do a nice job, just need the meat to be placed on that side of the grill. Mike, thanks for the "tip", I'll look into them (as well as look over your posts again).

Today after services had to run to the Giant for some odds and ends for next weeks meals (beef stew Monday, possibly corned beef and cabbage Tuesday, if not then Thursday (can't cook corned beef 'round the wifey as she detests the cabbage aroma, either that or the aroma the next day after I eat a lot of cabbage)), Pork loin and sauerkraut either Thursday or Tuesday, no idea what Wednesday dinner is gonna be. Anyhow, picked up some 'kraut and Thousand Island dressing, decided to use it in a "melt" of Italian bread, Swiss cheese, shaved smoked Turkey breast, pickle, dressing and 'kraut. Sort of a Rachel type sandwich, was very good, trying not to make another one. Served with a very cold beer (was in the low 20's last night, beer was in the garage).

3-11-18_rachel-sammy.jpg

My DW bought the fixin's for a nice surf 'n' turf meal for last night. However, our plans changed. So, we had said meal tonight.

It turned out to be a "fusion cuisine" meal. I made broiled asparagus with garlic and tarragon with lots of olive oil, topped by pecorino cheese. Also had bean-thread vermicelli, which I simmered then stir-fried with sesame seeds, sesame oil, and soy sauce. Then we had two proteins: a broiled hanger steak served with chimichurri sauce, and an escolar filet (hence, the surf 'n' turf). The hanger steak was delightful, although I went a little heavy on the garlic of the chimichurri. For those of you tempted to warn us, yes, we are fully aware of the dangers of escolar. We each had only a little bit, and I am sure we will be fine. I marinated this in olive oil, lemon, garlic, and rosemary, then broiled for ~4 minutes/side. It was satiny and delectable. We washed this all down with 2013 WE LE Oregon Pinot Noir, which was good with both the surf 'n' the turf.

DSCN1033.jpg DSCN1034.jpg DSCN1037.jpg DSCN1038.jpg DSCN1040.jpg

As promised, last night was chicken parm night.

I started in the am by making up a nice batch of rich, thick 100% home made sauce.

Chicken was on sale at my local. I bought a packet of 4 boneless chicken breasts for $8. The size of the breasts was amazing. They were huge! I have never seen them that big. each one well over a pound! I guess all of the toxic waste in NJ created mutant chickens.

With a sharp knife, I made 3 fillets out of each one. So, had made 12 portions (or 2 sheet pans) of parm. Guess what I am eating this week!

Here are some pics. I am very happy with the sauce. Just look at how thick it is.
thumbnail.jpg thumbnail2.jpg

Cold, damp late winter Northeast kinda day. Took advantage of a buy one, get one free deal at the local Weis Market on bottom round roasts. Not the big round type, but a flat cut, only 1.5 lbs or so each. Trimmed some fat, cubed, dredged in some rice flour and spices, browned in a skillet with some oil, added to the crock post with some celery, onions waffle cut carrots. Added a pack of McCormicks GF beef stew seasoning mix and deglazed the browning pot with about a cup of left over Sangiovese to finish the bottle. Upon arriving home a bit early with my sick daughter, cubed some potatoes, par broiled in some salt water then added to the crock pot and turned it up to high. Only things missing for me were some mushrooms (had to add them on the side, some of the family doesn't care for them unfortunately) and some petite green peas which I usually add with about 1/2 hour to go. Still a nice meal on a bone chilling cold day. Served on some wide egg noodles, yum!

Will attempt a crock pot corned beef w/cabbage tomorrow (It's national crock pot week, you know).

3-12-18_beef-stew.jpg

Back