Mosti Mondiale Meglioli Barolo Comes with raisins and grape pack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robie

Reaction score
My new MM Meglioli Barolo kit just arrived from George. It contains both a grape pack and a raisin pack, because I paid extra for the grape pack. I wasn't sure if George was just going to provide me with one of the Cellar Craft grape packs, which he stocks, or if the kit would actually contain its own grape pack.

The answer is... the kit came with a Mosti Mondiale labeled box that contains its own grape pack and raisin pack.

Interesting...
The instructions say to use either the raisin pack or the grape pack... but never both. At first thought, I would use the grape pack, as the grape pack would provide more tannins and structure. (???)

However, what do you think? Grape pack or raisin pack? Why?

On the MM web page, the grape pack is not mentioned, but the raisins are. Perhaps you should check with George before proceeding.

I would suggest that a boxed grape pack is the retail product that you paid for, rather than something included with the kit. Although for the price...mutter mutter.

Steve

On the MM web page, the grape pack is not mentioned, but the raisins are. Perhaps you should check with George before proceeding.

I would suggest that a boxed grape pack is the retail product that you paid for, rather than something included with the kit. Although for the price...mutter mutter.

Steve

All the MM Meglioli limited addition kits for this season have an option to include the grape pack. The Meglioli instruction sheet on MM's web site does say that some kits come with both raisins and grapes, and not to use both.

This is from their website:
"PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU CURRENTLY HAVE BOTH A DRIED RAISIN PACK AND THE
ALLGRAPE Pack, DO NOT USE BOTH. USE EITHER THE DRIED RAISIN PACK
OR THE ALLGRAPE Pack. IF YOU HAVE AN ALLGRAPE Pack AND YOU
ARE LOOKING TO MAKE A WINE WITH ADDED COLOR, AROMA, AND BOUQUET, WE
STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU USE THE ALLGRAPE Pack AS IT CONSISTS
OF 100% FRESHLY PICKED WINE GRAPES THAT HAVE BEEN PREPARED
SPECIFICALLY FOR THE PURPOSE OF HOME WINEMAKING USING OUR FRESH
GRAPE MUST PRODUCTS (THE ORIGINAL ALLJUICE, MASTER’S EDITION ALLJUICE,
AND MEGLIOLI LIMITED EDITION).
Dried Raisins: If you are using the dried raisins provided carefully cut the bag
and add its contents to your Primary Fermenter 24 hours after adding your
yeast (see Step 5).
ALLGRAPE Pack: If you are using the ALLGRAPE Pack, carefully
remove the cap from the bag and add its contents to your Primary Fermenter
.It is important that you continuously monitor the contents of your Primary
Fermenter each day to ensure your ALLGRAPE Pack does not form a
crust and remain suspended. If this occurs, please be sure to push the
contents to the bottom of your Primary Fermenter and stir for 2-3 minutes
each day until you transfer the contents of the Primary Fermenter to your
glass carboy."

Yep, this is new for MM.
I would just like to hear others' opinions on the grape pack .vs. raisins.

I wonder what it would hurt to use both?

I must say Ive had a bottle that the raisons were used and it was the best wine Ive ever had to date so you are in a conundrum there!!!

I must say Ive had a bottle that the raisons were used and it was the best wine Ive ever had to date so you are in a conundrum there!!!
Wade, I believe that Conundrum is a white wine. Is there a red version as well?

Steve ::

How old was the Barolo you tasted?
I'm guessing this one is going to be pretty rich and might need extra aging>

Steve, not sure what you mean? Actually, right before I hit the submit button I figured out what you were referring to. Very funny. I dont drink a lot of commercial wines so bare with me there!!!!

I believe it was a 2008 or 9. I didnt make it, just had a bottle given to m that had about 8 months on it. I split that bottle into 2 750's as it was a magnum and drank one then and kept the other for another year. I must say the first 1/2 wasnt nearly as good as the second. The first just tasted like a decent commercial but the second jumped in my mouth and just ***** slapped you around some!

My new MM Meglioli Barolo kit just arrived from George. It contains both a grape pack and a raisin pack, because I paid extra for the grape pack. I wasn't sure if George was just going to provide me with one of the Cellar Craft grape packs, which he stocks, or if the kit would actually contain its own grape pack.

The answer is... the kit came with a Mosti Mondiale labeled box that contains its own grape pack and raisin pack.

Interesting...
The instructions say to use either the raisin pack or the grape pack... but never both. At first thought, I would use the grape pack, as the grape pack would provide more tannins and structure. (???)

However, what do you think? Grape pack or raisin pack? Why?

I got that same kit, I'm using the grape pack.

All grape pack is juice

Just got my first MM kit (Barolo). The Allgrape pack is juice and not grapes yet instructions talk about putting the grape skins in cheesecloth bag. Did they send the wrong pack?

Gary, it depends on which MM Barolo you ordered. Renaissance Barolo does not have a grape pack but Renaissance Impressions does. MM uses the same instruction sheet for both. Only Impressions and Meglioli contain the Allgrape pack. I suspect you received the MM Renaissance version.

In previous years I only used the grape pack. This year I am trying something new. I use the grape pack during primary and the raisins during secondary fermentation. Let's see how that will work out.

Yup - you are missing some good stuff. With MM products, the grape skins comes in a separate box. I suspect they missed packing it.

Just figured it out when I made the kit today. It is a grape pack but while it contains grape skins and seeds it contains much juice. The consistency is much thinner than the packs from Wine Expert or Cellar Craft.

Latest posts

Back