Weird scum on top of fruit in primary fermenter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer

Junior
Reaction score
A sticky scum formed on my apples and rubarb on day three of fermentation. Does this mean its no good . Its smells alright still.

If it smells and tastes all right, it should be fine. Not sure what the scum is but it could just be material from your fruit.

Pioneer, if you could post a photo that would help. Otherwise I'd say just stir it all back in and cover it with a cloth.

I'd need to see a picture to be certain but I get what you describe when I make apple wine from fresh pressed cider.

Im just trying to figure out how to upload image . I'll put it up as soon as possible.

Weird film

. The primary ferment of which the images are of i threw away yesterday because i thought that scum for surely meant it was ruined and i was told plastic is porous and could hold contaminants and the primary fermenter i used for that batch i bought used and it was kinda rough looking. But the other batch of apple rubarb i made in a brand new 32 L container is still getting that scum just not as aggressive. When i stir the apples and rubarb there has been less film forming on top it still smells alright. I have two primaries with only apples and there is no scum on those just the two with apples and rubarb got it. I washed the rubarb really well and cut off the ends.

20170925_093835.jpg

20170925_093827.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back