Other Which kit next?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJP

Reaction score
The Wine Making bug has definitely got it's teeth in me!

Even though I've only got one kit under my belt (WE Ca Moscato)
I'm trying to get my kits lined up.

The following are already in line:
  1. WE Stags Leap Merlot in Bulk age
  2. WE Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon kit on the way (will start this weekend)
  3. RJS RQ Eminence Spanish Tempranillo pre-ordered (Release March 2018)
  4. RJS RQ Virtue - German Riesling pre-ordered (Release April 2018)

I dropped by the local toy store and picked up a couple more Carboys, so I'm good to go with all the equipment.

It looks like I'll need a kit or 2 before the RJS kits get here.

I think I need a Red table wine kit that can be drank young.
Maybe an IceWine or Port (something out of the ordinary).

Thoughts?

Thanks,
AJ

Id highly recommend a CC Showcase Amarone, i never thought id like amarone but both my wife and i love it. I also enjoyed the RJS EP trio red if you like the apothic lineup, we soaked oakcubes in whiskey for a couple weeks then added them into the carboy while aging and then blended it with a merlot to get the fourth blend of the apothic inferno.

Last edited:
I have always liked a pinot noir as a quicker drinking wine, typically one of the 10L kits from WE or RJS

As a general proposition, the cheaper, more concentrated, kits are ready to go early. Kits like the Amarone, or ones with more juice, skins, and oak, will need some time to reach their full potential.

Try the Enigma and follow the directions (where I went wrong). It should be good at about 3-6 months.

The Wine Making bug has definitely got it's teeth in me!

I think I need a Red table wine kit that can be drank young.
Maybe an IceWine or Port (something out of the ordinary).

Thoughts?

Thanks,
AJ

AJ, I totally remember the early days of making kits, when I'd sunk money into something with nothing to show for it, and worse, nothing to drink!

My suggestion would be something like a Beaujolais-style kit, which is a red specifically designed to be consumed young:
http://www.finevinewines.com/XPListDet2.asp?MM_PartNumber=24352

Ports can be early drinkers, but they (for me) are an occasional drink. I like the coffee ports, which are three-gallon kits.

Latest posts

Back