Other What's the best Sauvignon Blanc you made?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the mineral notes and kiwi flavor of a good Sauvignon blanc and it seems those are always present when the bottle of wine I buy is from New Zealand. This may be the best dry wine I like (and I typically like the whites being off-dry....yeah I know @ibglowin :) )

I see WE has an Eclipse from New Zealand but is it really good?

I don't see the other manufacturers with a Sauv Blanc from New Zealand in their top of the line kits, Vineco/CC has one from New Zealand in their 16L line of Atmosphere, not their Showcase (which I know it is also 16L kit). Here's the Atmosphere, anyone tried it?
https://www.finevinewines.com/XPListDet2.asp?MM_PartNumber=006313

So....thinking that New Zealand may produce the best Sauv Blanc, I'm looking to see what would be the best kit out there.

Last edited:
I've made the Eclipse twice and really like it. However, looking at the Atmosphere, its pretty tempting at just over $100.

Last edited:
I made an RJS 16L New Zealand Sauv Blanc which is really good but a bit young still.

I've made the Eclipse twice and really like it. However, looking at the Atmosphere, its pretty tempting at just over $100.

I resurrected a post from last year where Mike was looking for a Kenridge and the WE Eclipse was also discussed. How's the WE in terms of mineral notes? I assume it has good flavors.

I resurrected a post from last year where Mike was looking for a Kenridge and the WE Eclipse was also discussed. How's the WE in terms of mineral notes? I assume it has good flavors.

I'd like a little more minerality, but its pretty good. Wondering if adding some tannin would help with that.

It seems to be down to 2 options:

1. Vineco Atmosphere 16L for $113.66 shipped
2. WE Eclipse 18L for $129.14 shipped

Not much talk about the Atmosphere....

The Wife and I like the WE Sauvigon Blanc, although we adjust the acid just a touch! maybe just 002 PH really seems to make it pop. Of course this is our preference, get a PH meter and see what you like. There is a post that really goes into this on this site, sorry I cannot fint the link.

I've got the WE SB in a carboy - cleared - just sitting there... I've really liked it when tested. More impressed than I thought I would be too.... There might be a slight dusting on the bottom of the carboy? It's been about four months since I started it. Probably consider bottling in a couple months... What kind of turn around time are you all seeing on the WE?

Cheers!
-johann

I don't like Sav Blanc, but the favorite I've made was the Kiwi Pear. Yes, it was a mist type kit I boosted to around 13 ABV. Hey, that is what I don't like about Sav Blancs, really not much flavor. The Kiwi Pear has that missing flavor and it is a big hit around here. I know...it's not a real wine...but at least it has some taste.

Atmosphere looks intriguing, but not a huge price difference. I say you do both then let us know which is better.

For such a minor difference in price between 16L & 18L, I'd go with the Eclipse.

Just having a glass of the winexpert Selection International Californian Sauvignon Blanc 16 liter kit atm, see pic below. Its a nice dry white and little citrus hints, I added zest of a grapefruit for two weeks after fermentation as to joe's recommendation on the tweek thread, I would prefer more grass notes but still a nice easy to drink wine that finished at 12%abv. I fizzed a bottle of this in a sodastream machine and the dry notes roll off the tongue making it a tasty sparkler! Id probably try a new Zealand one next time although i've got a world vineyard french SB 10 liter kit about ready for clearing atm so i'll let you know what I think of it soon. Cheers everybody happy Friday.

IMG_20170616_174504.jpg

Ok so I've tried the world vineyard french SB 10 liter kit, Its not a bad wine but I prefer the selection Californian Sauvignon Blanc tbh, the french seems a little acidic after a few glasses and not just as dry as the selection, Its still a good kit for the price just not outstanding or anything.

Latest posts

Back