Crystal Clear mead... that's gassy!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polarhug

Reaction score
Working on my Blood Orange Mead (a variant of the JAOM). I have degassed this mead 3 times so far. I'm in no rush so I've let it sit 4 weeks in between each degassing.

I've always heard and worked with the old standby that "wine with trapped gas WILL NOT clear." I'm here to tell you that it IS crystal clear, and it's very gassy. I just don't understand it and I've never seen this before! I can read the fine print of a newspaper 1 foot behind the carboy - it is 100% clear... with no lees, and yet there are millions of tiny fizzy bubbles continuously rising like champagne.

Again, I'm in NO rush. I'm not worried about any wierdness to the mead and it tastes wonderful. Just thought I would throw that out there because I've never had an absolute clear wine like this. I'll try to get a pic tonight of the phenomenon!

Tastes great! Blood oranges gave it more of a reddish tint and it's got nice flavor.

I have almost always get mead clear before I can get all the gas out. I have done at least 50 batches and everyone is a pain to de gas. No worries, time is needed for mead to be real "GOOD" and as long as it is still gassy it will be hard for it to oxidize

Back