Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Grape Growing / Vineyard Management / Commercial Winery > Commercial Winery Forum > I've got a live one -- SCAM ALERT

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:32 PM   #11
Beccathegreat

Aug 2015
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well I just received an email informing me that my long-lost uncle in Nigeria died in a tragic car accident. Gonna need a big shipment of wine for the funeral...

heatherd Likes This 
Old 02-05-2016, 06:17 PM   #12
Julie
Super Moderator
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Dec 2009
Liked 1634 Times on 1186 Posts
Likes Given: 2985

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Sorry Can't help myself some times...

Please don't send me to the corner... It has been abandoned for quite some time and it is very dusty in there!!
Well someone needs to clean up that corner and you seem to be asking for it!

Here is what I have done!

JohnT Likes This 
Old 02-05-2016, 07:06 PM   #13
JohnT
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Feb 2010
Liked 4250 Times on 2349 Posts
Likes Given: 3154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Well someone needs to clean up that corner and you seem to be asking for it!

Wow... I started cleaning and found an old, dusty bottle. The label says runningwolf 2011...

People Like This 
Old 02-05-2016, 07:57 PM   #14
grapeman
Administrator
WMT_ADMIN.png

Nov 2005
Liked 1142 Times on 762 Posts
Likes Given: 178

I feel sorry for the millions of older (and sometimes not so old) people that just aren't computer savvy enough to know what is a scam or not. There seem to be unlimited number of scammers out there just looking for victims. To be honest I had to lookup the Cotonou Republic of Benin since I have never heard of it. Mike checked it for scams. How many of those older folks would know how to do that. I guess there will always be others that want to get rich the easy way.

Experience a Taste of the Champlain Valley.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:16 PM   #15
ibglowin
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Jul 2009
Liked 4651 Times on 2506 Posts
Likes Given: 1886

I had no idea we actually have an embassy there until today!

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed in this forum are strictly my own,
and should not be construed as the opinion or policy
of WineMakingTalk.com or its owners

"Killing grapes one cluster at a time since 2009" - Visit the Château!

Old 07-13-2017, 10:31 AM   #16
Maria

Jul 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapeman View Post
I get about two of these a week and have for months now. They want to make a large order for my product and pay by credit card. They insist on using their own shipper who will come and pick up the product. I add them to the block sender list every time and yet continue to get these. The last one didn't mention they use their own shipper so it was a bit different on 2/2/2016 and the subject was "interested in buying your wine" and here is the body of it
Dear sir

We got your mail and address from our search for reliable supplier of quality product like yours on the internet.We are interested in buying from you in large quantities kindly give us offer pricelist for our study and we discus other terms in the proccess Hoping to hear from you soon

Rgds
Daniel Elvis
Goodan Investment co.. Ltd
Carre/ 800 near Central Bank -
Cotonou Republic of Benin
E-mail ; goodaninvest@gmail.com

Many different scams out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I got the same message. I replied, and now Daniel Elvis is asking me to send him a lot of wine samples.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:07 PM   #17
Johny99

Sep 2010
Liked 429 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 1021

The amazing part is I get similar emails at work, for "your product" and I work for an electric utility! Have to wonder who that works on.

However, Fiji, ask them if they'll pay for me to deliver the Welches personally. I'll make the time!

Old 07-25-2017, 11:27 AM   #18
shrewsbury

Nov 2015
Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Not only do many older folks fall for this type of scam, the most common way for a company to get compromised is via email.
Never open an attachment without knowing the sender and/or verifying with the sender what the attachment is. Even then always right click on an attachment to see what file type it is before opening. If they are sending an invoice and it is not a .doc or .pdf or .xls, do not open it. Never open a .exe .vbs .bat .com based attachment.
Be safe!

People Like This