WineXpert Pinot Grigio ( Pinot Gris) - Is strong normal?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I degassed and added the clarifying agents and it is sitting in the carboy, I did a temp check, my pantry is about 69 degrees.

I tasted it and also noticed the aroma - it seemed very strong - does this mellow out with racking and aging?

In Process: Pinot Grigio
On deck: Lodi Old Vines Zinfandel

O man the tast at first racking will be so differnt , even in a couple of weeks. PPP(patients)

LOL @ the 3 "P's"
How true taste, taste, taste you will see different Tastes throuout the wine making process. Sounds like everything is OK.

Depends on what you mean by strong

I wouldn't be too concerned at this point. My first "real" kit was a vintners reserve Italian pinot grigio (you might find a thread here from a few years ago about my concerns). Flavor at the time of bottling was very strong with what I call a "green" flavor. It was clear to me that there were not any real "off" flavors, but the flavor wasn't good. It took several months for the wine to mellow, but in 6 months or so, I found the flavor to as good as most pinot grigios I've had. I should also add, that the VR Italian Pinot grigio took by far the longest to mellow (or age?) of any of the VR wines I've made (10-20 of them over the last 2 years). So, there's no guarantee that you don't have a problem with your wine, but if it just tastes a little weird, I think there is a good chance that you will find that it's better a little later.

If you haven't bottled yet, and want to monitor the progress of your wine, you may want to bottle several of the "airline" size bottles (187ml?). When I bottled my green tasting pinot grigio, I bottled several of these small bottles and stored them with the rest of the wine. It was quite comforting to find that when I tasted one of the small bottles every few weeks, it tasted a little better each time. The ultimate test was several months after bottling the wine. While entertaining friends, I served it to the person that introduced us to Pinot Grigio, and she gave it a solid rating.

:br
My wife prefers to do a wine test at least monthly to track the aging of the wine. However she prefers with a full size bottles.

Latest posts

Back