1st time with juice buckets/grapes but not making wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very easy to read. Not at all like the worthless ph strips. You get a very small sample and put it on the strip. There isn't enough for color to influence the reading. I haven't used the SO2 testers to offer a comparison. When I do my Chilean juice this spring I'll try to remember to take a picture and post it.

Believe it or not, the stuff is packaged to work perfectly. You have 2.5g of VP41, Acti-ML is used at the rate of 20 g and 100 ml distilled water per g of bacteria. So it takes 50 g of Acti-ML (buy the 50g package) in 250 ml of distilled water, then just add your VP-41 to that concoction, stir well, and distribute as desired.

I was Just about to order the 5g packet of actiML and caught these posts. Changed to the 50 g packet
But "Distribute at desired"?
Meaning that since this concoction would be enough for 66 gal, someone may desire not to add100% of it? Or
Meaning to distribute the ML/acti-ML mix in some different way that I am unaware of?
Also plan to add about 6 g of opti-malo plus 24 hrs or so before adding the ML/acti-ML. That sound about right?

I have used the Accuvin strips for both MLF and SO2. They were really easy. Good company too because in my original packet they shorted me some samplers, I called them and they sent me a free kit.

I was Just about to order the 5g packet of actiML and caught these posts. Changed to the 50 g packet
But "Distribute at desired"?
Meaning that since this concoction would be enough for 66 gal, someone may desire not to add100% of it? Or
Meaning to distribute the ML/acti-ML mix in some different way that I am unaware of?
Also plan to add about 6 g of opti-malo plus 24 hrs or so before adding the ML/acti-ML. That sound about right?

Sorry, that wasn't clear, but yes, you interpreted it correctly with your first statement. If you're doing less than 66, gallons, just distribute it based upon the size of each vessel. So if you had one 6 gallon carboy, dump it all in, or 3 six gallon carboys, just split it up into thirds, etc....

I'm not sure if it makes a difference when you add the Opti-Malo, I typically add the MLB mixture first, stir it in well, and then add the nutrients afterwards.

Update, finally got my juice buckets and grapes yesterday! So far so good. Was going to set aside some juice to back sweeten the moscato but I think it had started to ferment already so I just kept it all together and made my yeast starter and pitched it. Temp was already up to 59 on both buckets. The cab said/merlot bucket definitely started a little. Moscato started out at 1.092 and the cab was 1.094. Ta was .7 and .5. A forgot to check my ph meter lately and the electrode went dry so I think I was getting some erroneous readings but I think they're close. At first the moscato read 3.0 then after an hour with the meter in solution it read 3.1. Cab was 3.3 then went to 3.5. I almost bought a new electrode but think I'll wait and get a sc-300[emoji12]. Have to add malo and opti-white and opti-red this morning. Getting ready to go check on the operation in a few!

Man that seems like a long wait.
I had the pH jumping around too. The opposite way. But I'm also still getting comfortable using my new meter and calibrating and whatnot.
At 3.10 and 3.18 I think I'll wait until after MLF and stable to check again and figure out what to do next. I'll be keeping an eye on your updates to see how your Cab Sav/merlot bucket progresses in comparison to mine.

Latest posts

Back