Cellar Craft size of kit + recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StBlGT

Reaction score
So i have a few kits under my belt and would like to get a big red going. I am thinking the cellar craft showcase is my ticket. My question is how many liters is the total kit? Are we talking 18l of juice plus a 2l grape pack? Or is it one of those 16l kits with the other 2l coming from the grape pack.....making it 18l that way?

Also, any recommendations? I like cabernet sauvignon and shiraz (no merlot....i already made some rjs and have some aging). Anyone ever have the australian shiraz or sonoma valley cab sauv? Any others? I am looking to buy two and let them age in my basement for a good 6-12 months. Thanks.

So i have a few kits under my belt and would like to get a big red going. I am thinking the cellar craft showcase is my ticket. My question is how many liters is the total kit? Are we talking 18l of juice plus a 2l grape pack? Or is it one of those 16l kits with the other 2l coming from the grape pack.....making it 18l that way?

Also, any recommendations? I like cabernet sauvignon and shiraz (no merlot....i already made some rjs and have some aging). Anyone ever have the australian shiraz or sonoma valley cab sauv? Any others? I am looking to buy two and let them age in my basement for a good 6-12 months. Thanks.

CC Showcase are some of my favorite kits. Showcase Amarone is a BIG red and I have done that one 6-7 times. Very good at 1 year but at 3 years, it is pure ambrosia. I have my second Rosso Fortissimo in bulk aging now. A little lighter than the Amarone but always very good. I know you aren't very interested in a merlot but the Walla Walla Cab/Merlot is outstanding. I am making one of those every year these days. I also have the old vine zin in bulk aging now. It shows great promise. In other words, close your eyes and point to one of the kits. You won't be disappointed.

And to address your question, these kits are 16L juice plus the 2L grape pack. The exception is the Amarone, which has a 2.6L grape pack.

Last edited:
I've made the CC Showcase South African Shiraz and it's just coming up on a year old. It's my favorite of the half dozen CC and WE Eclipse kits I've done to date.

I haven't made the Sonoma Cab, but if it is anywhere near as good as its predecessor (a Red Mountain, WA Cabernet) it will be a winner. Also, haven't done it, but have heard really good things about the Walla Walla Cab/Merlot.

As was already said: in general, these are all good kits.

Also, any recommendations? I like cabernet sauvignon and shiraz (no merlot....i already made some rjs and have some aging).

Well, I have made the Yakima Valley Cab-Shiraz blend! It is not bad at all. I also have made the Walla Walla Cab Merlot blend Jim referenced, and it is definitely a winner.

Thanks for everyone's responses. I think i might try the new sonoma cab sauv. Also, would love the walla walla, but maybe later in the year. I am really considering the lodi zinfandel. Read some good reviews on it, too.

Thanks for everyone's responses. I think i might try the new sonoma cab sauv. Also, would love the walla walla, but maybe later in the year. I am really considering the lodi zinfandel. Read some good reviews on it, too.

I'm wondering if you made the kit? I've been happy with the Eclipse Lodi Cab I've made, but I don't want to get stuck in a rut only to learn later that this one is better, or a good quality change of pace. Did you have a chance to make it?

All,

What other high end Cab kits do you recommend as good or better than the Eclipse Lodi Ranch 11?

I never made that kit. I ended up doing a LE passport cab franc/cab sauv in its place. But, i will probably do it on my next round of kits....early 2017 sometime. Sorry.

Back