Cellar Craft Cellar Craft Showcase Rosso Fortissimo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markb1983

Reaction score
Hello all!

I have a question. I am making Cellar Craft Showcase Rosso Fortissimo and noticed that there isnt cubes of oak like in Eclipse series but a sawdust like powder. Now the store I purchased this at sells cubes. Would you reccomend not using the powder but instead using cubes?

One other question. Do you prefer to use the grapes skins in the bag or let them free float in the primary fermenter?

Anyone have good results with this kit? THANKS!

I have made the kit a number of times and it is great. I would use the powdered oak in primary and buy some cubes (you will need about 3-4 oz.) in secondary. I always put the grape skins in the bag and I squeeze the bag daily at least once for better extraction of the "goodies." Good luck, that is a great wine.

Thanks so much for the tip! I will do exactly that! I'm
Super excited for this hobby, I'm expecting my first child in February, so I plan on celebrating with family good wine!

Any other tips or recommendations?

Do what Rocky said. Another tip is to use the search function and read what all has been said about RF. There are tons of posts about it.

Last edited:
Some time ago, in another thread, there was a discussion about Super Tuscans and how they compared. At that time, the RJS Winery Series Super Tuscan was considered the best with Rosso Fortissimo second. I believe it was Rocky who said the Rosso was a VERY close second. At the time, I disagreed that it was that close. However, my Rosso has just passed the 1 year mark since pitching yeast and, I must admit, it is incredible. Yes, it is neck and neck with Winery Series. Rocky was/is right! I think Rosso is more Cabernet dominant while the Winery Series is more Sangiovese dominant, based on how the ingredients are listed in the description. Both are incredible.

My only complaint with the Rosso (and all CC Showcase wines for that matter) is that they knock me on my keester. Two glasses and I am pretty tipsy. It doesn't happen with other brands. Can't figure it out but I have to be very careful around that brand. Bummer since my favs are Red Mountain Cab, Showcase Amarone and Rosso. Just gotta be careful I guess.

I never thought this hobby would be so much fun, and how much I could learn. I made a eclipse series Lodi zin. It's still bulk aging for only a month but I tell ya, I could pour a glass and drink that every night as is! I am worried over the course of a year it could turn after I bottle it. Thanks everyone for the tips!

I used an additional oak spiral during secondary and must say this makes a fabulous wine. I also put skins in a bag. I will make it again.

Any thoughts of adding French oak into the primary fermenter? I decided against using the cheap oak splinters and purchased some cubes. Was thinking of using them twice. Also, any suggestions on blends? I currently have a eclipse zin going and want to blend! Thanks!

I don't think cubes will have enough time in primary to do much good. I like dust and/or shavings in primary/secondary, cubes in clearing and aging, spirals and barrel in aging. Very often I employ oak in all three stages.

Last edited:
The extraction rate from oak cubes is too slow to give you the benefits of using oak in primary fermentation. In principle, you could transfer the oak cubes along with the wine when you rack it, but fermentation will long be over before the cubes have given up all they have.

Latest posts

Back