Intro

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Group!

My name is Scoop. I grew up in southern Alabama on a farm. My grandmother always made wine from plum and peach trees annually. I've been reading the threads and have learned some amazing stuff here! But I wanted to share something with the group.
My granny didn't use all of the ingredients that the group talks about. The wine always tasted great, the customers loved it, and it was always better than the wine you'd but at the store. She'd simply smash the plums or peaches, but sugar in it (in a five gallon bucket), and cover it with a soft cloth. She'd strain it after the fermentation process was over and sweeten it throughout the process. The taste changed as it aged. It was always awesome!
Well, I tried it and have finally profected this! Does anyone else keep it simple? Pros n cons?

Saretha Bonner, MS

Welcome to the group, my dad used to make Muscadine wine like that. I am trying to do it the "new" way. As long as it is good and you like it what else matters.

Hey Scoop. Welcome to the site. I grew up in middle GA and my Dad used to make muscadine wine similar to your grandmother. One (of many) things I've learned from this site is advances in technology is a good thing, even in home wine making! That old secret family recipe that was hid in a coffee can in the kitchen got the job done, but as we learn more about home brewing, there are newer and more refined recipes out there now (my opinion only). What would be interesting is to make a small batch using an original old fashion recipe and another batch using a modern recipe.

Hi Scoop, Welcome to the group! I personally like the fact that you are carrying on a old family tradition.

staticmap

Thanks everyone!! I'm def trying to keep my grannies tradition going! My older cousin is using some of the recipes and is selling the wine for $22 per bottle!!

First off welcome to the forum. I applaud you for carrying on the tradition. Perfect it and ensure you pass it on tot he next generation.

As you read on this forum there are many ways to make wine and ways to certainly protect it for longevity with modern techniques. This will be helpful when you want to expand the hobby onto other wines.

Latest posts

Back