New barrel vs kit oak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpowell88

Reaction score
I have a Rosso and a Eclipse Pinot Noir kit that I'm planning on putting in my new barrel 23L Vadai Hungarian (never used) and just curious if I should use the oak supplied.

The Eclipse Pinot kit comes with 60g of toasted oak and the Rosso comes with 30g of French medium toasted, 30g premium oak, and 30g of French heavy.

I generally like oak in reds but would hate to use all of the supplied oak and then overdue it.

Thanks for the continued help!

Billy

Save all the oak and use it once your barrel becomes neutral. Be very careful with the Pinot as Pinot does not take well to lots of oak so you could ruin it fast with a new barrel. I would put the Rosso in first since as you can see it comes with a boatload of oak compared to the Pinot. 3-4 weeks max for the first kit through a barrel, then you can double it out from there. I honestly would not put the Pinot in till WAY down the road if possible.

Maybe Ill just use the supplied oak with the Pinot kit and age with a glass carboy as I have been doing and save the new barrel for higher oaked wines like the Rosso.

Thanks Mike!

Maybe Ill just use the supplied oak with the Pinot kit and age with a glass carboy as I have been doing and save the new barrel for higher oaked wines like the Rosso.

Thanks Mike!

Good idea.

Back