Intro

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sili

Junior
Reaction score
Let me introduce my self. I am from central California, the wine region of Amador, Lodi, Napa. Retired three years ago and decided to learn to make wine. Tried to get into UC Davis but a four year waiting list didn't help so I started to read. Started my first wines two years ago. Had a carboy explode on me and almost lost two fingers( no more glass for me). My 2011 Zin won a silver at Amador fair this year. Currently have a Chardonnay on oak and 600# of barbera under primary. Learning quickly.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum and how in the world did you get a carboy to explode. Would like to know to make sure it doesn't happen here. Thanks, Arne.

Arne said:
Welcome to the forum and how in the world did you get a carboy to explode. Would like to know to make sure it doesn't happen here. Thanks, Arne.

Arne. I was moving the carboy to the counter to bottle . The wife had just wiped down the tile floor. I slipped and fell on my butt holding the carboy from falling ,the edge of it just tapped the floor and with no air space in the carboy the vibration caused the bottle to explode. The heavy glass cut two fingers at the palm cutting the tendons and arteries in two fingers. Surgery and 6 months therapy and I,m back in the wine. Better bottles and ss. The wife still won't let me forget 6 gallons of Zin on the white carpet.

Let me introduce my self. I am from central California, the wine region of Amador, Lodi, Napa. Retired three years ago and decided to learn to make wine. Tried to get into UC Davis but a four year waiting list didn't help so I started to read. Started my first wines two years ago. Had a carboy explode on me and almost lost two fingers( no more glass for me). My 2011 Zin won a silver at Amador fair this year. Currently have a Chardonnay on oak and 600# of barbera under primary. Learning quickly.

Welcome to the forum. Congratulation on the first of your hopefully many medals. Some great barbera comes from Amador, also from around Placerville (Boegers Winery). I really love that wine!!!

Arne. I was moving the carboy to the counter to bottle . The wife had just wiped down the tile floor. I slipped and fell on my butt holding the carboy from falling ,the edge of it just tapped the floor and with no air space in the carboy the vibration caused the bottle to explode. The heavy glass cut two fingers at the palm cutting the tendons and arteries in two fingers. Surgery and 6 months therapy and I,m back in the wine. Better bottles and ss. The wife still won't let me forget 6 gallons of Zin on the white carpet.

Glad you are able to get back into the winemaking. I used to lift the full carboys too. Read on here about using vacuum to transfer. Now no more lifting full carboys. Hook up the hoses and let the liquid go from one to the other. Lots of posts on here about it. Take care, Arne.

Last edited:

Welcome, and lucky you! I live in south central Ohio, in a spot nearly devoid of everything wine related. When I retire in a few years, I plan to change that. :dg

Arne said:
Glad you are able to get back into the winemaking. I used to lift the full carboys too. Read on here about using vacuum to transfer. Now no more lifting full carboys. Hook up the hoses and let the liquid go from one to the other. Lots of posts on here about it. Take care, Arne.

Quick question on vacuum. Now that I am using the plastic better bottles I was concerned about the vacuum collapsing these bottles, any idea? I do use a enolmatic to bottle and figured I could adapt that to work.

Thanks Steve

You can pump it out of the better bottles, but using a vac. you can get it out of the bottles, but the recieving carboy will probably collapse if you use a better bottle. Guess I was just trying to say if you would decide to use glass you would not wind up having to lift a full carboy. Still have to lift the empty ones, tho to clean or move them. Arne..

Back