Other Sake!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike777

Reaction score
I see George has two different sake kits. Who has tried either and do you need special rice etc? I need to know all about it since we are preparing our shopping list.

Lets hear your thoughts if you played with either before.

George what do you think?

Edited by: Mike777

I bought the complete kit a while ago but haven't started it yet. I did do some research and seems like from what I remember reading the type of rice is key to the quality of the finished product.

Yes it was just on TV. The show called Three Sheets went through th rice polishing and a trip through a sake brewery. The polishing affects flavors so a heartier flavor will require less or no polishing and a smooth sweet flavor needs fully polished rice.

Rice polishing?

Why not just get the rice straight from Poland? I don't get it....

Well on mothers day i had eel and tuna and other suski stuff and I had a bottle of warm Sake I have been searching for a receipe since I was taked aback by how well it went with all the Japanese food. I am wanting to find another Japanese rest closer to have Sake with meal. I will be reading this to see how it goes.

I'm just following up to see if anyone has tried to make sake yet. I've spent the past couple of days doing some surfing and finding all sorts of information on the net. I also see that George sells the Koji mold. I also found a shop in Oregon that sells 10 lbs of polished rice used for sake production. Polished, milled rice makesa much better sake. If no one has given sake homebrewing a shot, perhaps I'll give it a shotand see what happens. I know Fred Eckhardt published a book on homebrewing sake (Sake USA) in 1992, but it is no longer in print and not easy to find. I did however find a PDF file of a recipe prepared by Fred Eckhardt for making high quality sake (a fairly complex process). Edited by: dfwwino

where do you buy saka kits from,I also need advice on how to navigate through this maze of data,I'am not to computer ready//

where did you buy the kit from,I've made most wines this I need to try///

The site is pretty easy to navigate. If you want to get to the main page of the site, click on the yellow logo box in the top left corner. That will take you to the home page. To get back to the forum from there you can click on the line, Discussion Forum in the blue column on the left side of the home page.
Here's a link to George's Sake page.
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=4881C
There's all sorts of information available on the web site. Just start clicking! Travel safe throughout the site. I recomend having a glass of wine while clicking. It helps you click more freely.
smiley36.gif

I havent made true saki,but have made something real close to it.I used 15 pounds of calrose rice and cooked,and did a mash with enzymes for conversion.I used 16lbscorn sugar,and flor-sherry yeast,and made many additions of sugar syrup during fermentation.It took about 5 months to build up the alc%.The stuff has been in the bottles for a year now,and is quite good at room temp.The alc.% is 21%.This recipe also calls for5 cans of welchs white grape added at the start.It was a real pain to clear.
I used a jumbo straining bag,but it was still a lot of work.I will use the koji next time.

Reason for edit:
I looked at my notes and had some of the amounts wrong.Edited by: lockdude

Latest posts

Back