Other % of Alchohol?????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelZ

Reaction score
I'm making my first batch of wine and am using a Sun Cal kit (Riesling). I racked it after ten days as the directions instructed and found that the percentage of alchohol percentage to be approximately 7.2 %...
Start =1.084
Racking= 1.032
Fermentation activity is not presently active at this time....

Should I try to "re-initiate" fermentation to increase alchohol % or let it be? Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated...

Michael

Michael,

How do you know the fermentation is not active and has stopped? Don't rely on justyour eyes to determine this...take another SG reading and please report back on your findings along with a time line from when you racked.

First; Thank you for your offer to help...

I started the kit on 1/15/07- 1.084 SG..activity started approx. 24 hrs later..
lots of foaming...

1st. racking 1/26/07 - 1.030 SG...activity continued...foaming and bubbling in the air lock...

Approx. 5 days later activity ceased....

Racked again on 2/18/07 - 1.030 SG...tasted good but cloudy....

What do you think masta?

Michael in Maryland.....Edited by: MichaelZ

I am not familiar with the Sun Cal concentrates but after a quick search I found the instructions. Have a few more questions to ask so I can try and figure out why it stopped prematurely and then work on getting it going again.

Yield 5 <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>U.S.</st1:place></st1:country-region> gal. or 4-1/2 Imp. gal.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

INGREDIENTS REQUIRED
This container of SunCal Grape Juice Concentrate
13 containers Warm Water
6-1/2 lb. White Granulated Sugar (approx. 3 kg.)
3 oz. Acid Blend
5 level tsp. Yeast Nutrient
1 level tsp. Grape Tannin
Wine Yeast

Starting Specific Gravity: 1.075 Acid: 0.70%

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Mix all ingredients EXCEPT wine yeast in primary fermenter.
Stir to dissolve sugar.

2. Allow must to cool to 70-75 degrees F.

3. Add wine yeast. Cover with plastic and tie down.

4. Allow to ferment 5 days in primary fermenter.

5. Siphon to secondary fermenter and attach fermentation lock.

6. Rack in 2 weeks and again in 2 months. Keep fermenter
topped up and fermentation lock attached.

7. When wine is stable and clear it may be bottled. The addition
ofsulfate at this time is recommended with white and rose
wines. The wine may be sweetened to taste prior to bottling using
sugar syrup (2 parts sugar to 1 part water). Dissolve wine
stabilizer in sweetened wine to prevent renewed fermentation.

8. Age in cool dark place.

Did you follow them exactly as written?

What yeast did you use?

What temperature was the room where the fermentation took place?

Was it started in a primary fermenting bucket and racked to a glass carboy with an airlock attached?

What was and is the temp of this must. My Raspberry (Vintners Harvest Base) was stuck because of cold temps. I had to really warm it up to get it going again and keep a brew belt on it to finish.

Did you follow them exactly as written? yes

What yeast did you use? Lalin 71B

What temperature was the room where the fermentation took place? 72 - 75

Was it started in a primary fermenting bucket and racked to a glass carboy with an airlock attached? yes

It is now at approx. 68 - 70 degrees in temperature....Edited by: MichaelZ

You didnt add meta on 2nd racking right? Is your quote down bottom Led Zepplin

Meta?...the tablets?...if so, yes...and yes it was Led Zeppelin..
smiley20.gif
andthe musthas cooled to 65 degrees....I just put a space heater in there to raise the temp a bit...

Z

I would suggest adding 2 tsp each of yeast energizer and nutrient and stir and follow the instructions on the link below for stuck fermentations using a packet of Lalvin E-1118 yeast. Get yourself a good thermometer to check the water temperature before re-hydrating the yeast as this is very important.

Also try to get the temperature of the batch back up to 70-75 degrees.

Good luck and keep us posted.

http://www.finevinewines.com/Stuck.htmEdited by: masta

Michael, you shouldnt really add meta at second racking as this will might be your problem. How much did you add? We usually add this at the very beginning of a batch that has fruit in it to kill off any wild yeast only to replace it with a more desirable yeast and after fermentation is complete to protect the wine from oxidation. We never add it during fermentation. Did the instructions say to add it?

I have made wine from SunCal concentrates, my Wife loves the Lambrusco. I had one batch get stuck, about where your is, I tried adding a yeast starter, but finally had to use the doubling method to get it going again.
Doubling method:
In a large mixing bowl, add two cups of your stuck must, add two cups water to dilute the alcohol. Get a yeast starter going according to the directions on the yeast packet and add a pinch of sugar and yeast energizer, then add it to the must/water mix. You should have a good fermentation going within two hours, add another 4 cups of your stuck must. Every 4-6 hours double this by adding more stuck must. Transfer to a clean sanitized carboy once you get a gallon or so going.When you have half the stuck must going again, add 1/2 of whats left in the other carboy, 6 hours later add the rest.

UPATE: Activity (fermentation) is apparant to the naked eye. Thanks to everyone for their advice....

Z Edited by: MichaelZ

Back