So Without A Hydrometer Does More Sugar = More Alchohol?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

critterhunter

Reaction score
Since this pear wine we are making is our first attempt at making wine, we didn't use a Hydrometer because we figured we had plenty to learn yet without also tackling that info.

Our primary was 7 to 7 1/2 gallons. Our Secondary might be 6 but I think it's 6.5 gallons. Anyway, our initial primary ingredients were 37 pounds of pears (before being cut up), 10 pounds of regular store bought sugar, and 6 pounds of white rasins. We also used Champain yeast.

It fermented well for like 6 to 8 days but when we racked it into the secondary we no longer saw any fermation (bubbling) taking place. With our third racking the other day we tasted it and it was good but dry, with no hint of sugar really. Does that mean then that all that sugar was made into alchohol? If that's the case, then does that also mean we should have a pretty high alchohol content? Is that how it goes- more sugar equals more alchohol? After all, how else would you increase the amount of alchohol in the wine I guess?

Also, the next batch we plan to use a Hydrometer. Should we lower the sugar content to like 6 pounds and the adjust with the meter? I would figure besides knowing alchohol production the key feature of those things is that they tell you how much sugar you need to add without being wasteful by using more? I could use any info in general on all the above, in particular how can you shoot for a higher alchohol. Not liquor strong, but as strong as you can get while still calling it "wine" and not something else.

Also, off subject, but we put a breather on the primary while fermenting. Some people are saying never to do that because you starve the yeast of air? Even if we were stirring it twice a day, and even if we used Champain yeast which I hear is much more robust? If we shouldn't use a breather then what can we put over the bucket to allow it to breath? Our mesh bag this next time will have the fruit in it (we didn't use a bad the first time), so I'd prefer to use something else over the bucket if we can't use a breather. How about plastic cling wrap rubberbanded around the top with some pin holes poked into it that are too small for fruit flies?

Is that how it goes- more sugar equals more alchohol?

to a point, yes. however, you need to consider...

1) The most you can obtain (in most cases) through natural fermentation is around 18% (that is, if the yeast you are using is stong enough). Thats 36 proof.

2) Different yeasts die at different alcohol levels. EC1118 is a very goo, strong yeast that thrives in the upper band of APV.

3) The yeast eats the sugar and then respries alcohol and CO2. The object for you (when trying for the higher levels) is to keep the yeast happy. This means temps in the low to mid 70s and Yeast neutiriant.

4) All fruit juices that derrives its alcohol can be legally called wine. Again, only natural fermentation can be used.

5) I would add all of the required sugar up front.

U NEED A HYDROMETER!

Starting SG reading, minus last SG reading (after fermentation) divided by 7.3 will give you alcohol content..

For example i think for fruit wine you want to shoot around 1.075 to 1.080.
and it can get to .990 after fermentation. turn them into whole numbers, and inturn would be 12.3% alcohol.....which is why a hydrometer is important.

About it being dry. you can always back sweeten before bottling, but be sure you dont restart fermentation....

Also, off subject, but we put a breather on the primary while fermenting. Some people are saying never to do that because you starve the yeast of air? Even if we were stirring it twice a day, and even if we used Champain yeast which I hear is much more robust? If we shouldn't use a breather then what can we put over the bucket to allow it to breath? Our mesh bag this next time will have the fruit in it (we didn't use a bad the first time), so I'd prefer to use something else over the bucket if we can't use a breather. How about plastic cling wrap rubberbanded around the top with some pin holes poked into it that are too small for fruit flies?

Ok, Yes, I would recomend that you do 'Open' fermentations. I normally simply throw a piece of clean, unused, plastic drop cloth (the thin type that costs about $3 a roll at Lowes). This is more to let gas out then to let gas in. The stirring (or puchdowns) twice a day should aerate the wine just fine.

Generally you'd aim for 11 to 12% finished alcohol in a fruit wine, the higher the alcohol the longer you'd need to cellar it before it becomes drinkable.

High alcohol levels make a 'hot' wine.. all you will taste initially is the alcohol in it.

As to your comment about increasing the alcohol level in a wine.. it can be done by adding spirits.. those are known as fortified wines.. ports and sherries.

Allie

A hydrometer is a too, that is needed to make a good wine, Would you try and fix your car with a rock and a bone? Really its cheap and its very easy to read. Where ever it floats just read the number there.

A hydrometer is a too, that is needed to make a good wine, Would you try and fix your car with a rock and a bone? Really its cheap and its very easy to read. Where ever it floats just read the number there.

Buy a couple, they break easily as I found out today. :tz

I find that pear wine has a very subtle pear flavor and therefore the alcohol can overwelm it easily. I try to keep my pear wines around 9-10 percent alcohol to preserve the flavor.

hydrometers are almost a necessity. as mentioned before they CAN break. when you clean them, don't SHAKE them to get the liquid off. I snapped one in half doing that! happy wine making!

Fully agreed with Lon.

I made pear once and it was low in flavor. So do not overdo the alcohol. 9-10% and not more.

And do het a hydrometer cheap, easy to use and then you know what your talking about (and so do we:dg)

Luc

AS one that makes Pear ALL above are right.
Get a hydrometer.
Shoot for 1.080 starting gravity.
Never add sugar blindly even if a recipe calls for so much. Use your hydrometer.

Oh yea KEEP RECORDS. then we may be able to kelp if you have a problem

Latest posts

Back