Gram Scale

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robie

Reaction score
I have some additives, which I need to weigh before adding to must/wine.
I looked out there for a scale that would weigh in 0.1 grams. Some are very cheap, but they also get mixed reviews from users.

I don't want to spend more than necessary. It doesn't have to be extremely accurate, +- 0.2 grams seems reasonable to me.

Anyone have a scale they like (don't like)?

I LIKE this one: ( for the money)
http://www.sciplus.com/search.cfm?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=search&utm_content=cf&utm_campaign=celsearchtest&formfield1234567891=438&formfield1234567892=6&formfield1234567894=&term=scale&btnHand.x=0&btnHand.y=0

I also got the brass mass weight set further down ( $19 ) to check calibration from time to time. ( albeit these are NOT "laboratory" reference standards... ) also like it uses plain old AAA batteries
( also checked some LD Carlson chems that I got via George for the fun of it and this scales reading were spot on with the labelled contents...

also found this ref:
http://www.digitalscale.com/TritonT2.htm

Go to a sale at the police department, they usuallyhave them. Let them know which chemicals you are weighing
smiley15.gif

Richard,

I purchased an Ohaus pocket scale a two years ago and this little thing rocks. Here are some notes, but I can't confirm where I purchased the scale. The calibration weight was not inexpensive, but I did notice that the scale tends to stay calibrated very well. This little guy handles up to 250g, which works for virtually all of the additives I need to measure for six gallon batches.

When it comes to fruit wine or mead, I use a Salter kitchen scale, as it can handle up to 11 pounds or so. Both of these scales have performed to a stellar level and I've been very impressed.

I also remember PeterZ mentioning at Winestock 2009 about using a gunpowder scale that measures in units called grains. He said that there was a very simple calculation to convert from grains to grams and it would give you a very high accuracy for measuring mass.

Depending on your budget, there are a wide variety of good tools available.

- Jim

Richard,

I purchased an Ohaus pocket scale a two years ago and this little thing rocks. Here are some notes, but I can't confirm where I purchased the scale. The calibration weight was not inexpensive, but I did notice that the scale tends to stay calibrated very well. This little guy handles up to 250g, which works for virtually all of the additives I need to measure for six gallon batches.

When it comes to fruit wine or mead, I use a Salter kitchen scale, as it can handle up to 11 pounds or so. Both of these scales have performed to a stellar level and I've been very impressed.

I also remember PeterZ mentioning at Winestock 2009 about using a gunpowder scale that measures in units called grains. He said that there was a very simple calculation to convert from grains to grams and it would give you a very high accuracy for measuring mass.

Depending on your budget, there are a wide variety of good tools available.

- Jim
Thanks for your information relating to the kitchen scale.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back