pumpkin squeeze

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry

Reaction score
I am making 6 gallons of pumpkin wine from canned pumpkin puree. I am using 2 pails and the mesh bags filled with the canned pumpkin. I was just wondering if I did not use the mesh bags, and just stirred the pumpkin in would that be OK. Would that all settle to the bottom of the pails and be able to siphon aboveit before I put it in my 6 gallon carboy ? This will save my hands and forearms from a lot of pain if I did not have to squeeze my brains out.

Really no point in bagging the puree it's all mushed up and will mix with the water. If you were using a fresh pumpkin you could bag it if you wanted. With pumpkin you are going to get a whole bunch of sediment, even after racking it to the secondary. I will usually make a gallon at a time but start out with 2 gallons - did I mention it drops sediment....
Are you planning on adding any spices?

vcasey; no, I will add a little at the end. I made this in the past, it turns out very good. There is a lot of sediment.

I made pumpkin and had a devil of a time getting it to clear - finally did after a number of interventions

Wayne said:
I made pumpkin and had a devil of a time getting it to clear - finally did after a number of interventions

I plan to super kleer and before bottling, cold stabilize. Is filtering still needed then ?

I am one of those who filters everything so I would (which I did) but I'm sure there are others who would not

Back