What to blend with.........

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeybudd

Reaction score
All,

I have 6gal of Chardonnay that ended up 'hot' (High ABV) because I didn't believe it was already finished so I added more sugar...) I have learned my lesson.... BUT I don't want to throw it away...

I was thinking I would blend it with a lower ABV wine but not sure which one would be a good blend with the Chardonnay.... Any suggestions? I am open to blending with a red to make a blush or another white....

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Joey

Lots of good choices for blending Chard. Pinot gris, Viognier, Chenin Blanc, Sémillon (although not traditional, this is common in Australia). IMHO, you could even experiment with blending with Muscat or Gewurtztraminer!

Lots of good choices for blending Chard. Pinot gris, Viognier, Chenin Blanc, Sémillon (although not traditional, this is common in Australia). IMHO, you could even experiment with blending with Muscat or Gewurtztraminer!

Any suggestions on blending ratio with these? Or, just find a mix of my own?

JB

Interesting---- but what would I do with 6 gal of it LOL

When I make port (which I'm doing this year), I make 5 gallons at a time, which seems to last 3 years.

I think I would make another low abv chard and blend. Maybe oak and back sweeten just a tad (.75 brix) to mask the alcohol.

JB

I just blended 10% Viognier in my Chardonnay from last year. Did it for taste not alcohol correction. Both had 50% go through malo. In the end you have to find a blend you like. That is the fun:b

JB

This is the fun part. Bench test it. Take a few glasses, add 20% of one wine to 80% of the other. Now 40-60, 50-59, 60-49, 80-20. See which one you like the taste of. Now wait another day and try the combo you liked the best as after all the samples your tastes may be skewed a bit. Gives you something to go on and what is more fun than tasting? Good luck with it, Arne.

Latest posts

Back