How to Measure Acidity in Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diff kits, diff instructions

Hi sjo

I have 2 kits with very diff instructions. Gold box kit says to keep adding till no more color change is apparent. White box kit says to keep adding in small increments til a color change is noted that remains after swirling sample. I liked the first kit the best, but hubby and I both did independent tests of all my aging wine with both kits and we got widely varying results. Because of this I got a PH tester recommended on this site. It is fab, easy, and the results match only a couple of the results we got with those box kits (they did use the same chems, just in diff amounts of sample etc).

Highly recommend the PH tester.
www.water-testers.com/contents/en_us/p4325_milwaukee_mw102.html
Now that I know the real ph, I know I have a prob with one wine and can go ask for help to determine how to fix it.

Pam in cinti

I just started using a Milwaukee PH meter, which is great by they way, I have read two different calculations and I'm not exactly sure which one is correct.
The one I believe is correct states count the amount of NaOh 2 solution in CC/MLto get to PH of 8.2 and multiply it by .75. For example 8cc of x .75 =.6% acid.
The other instructions states count the CC used if its 8cc its multiplied by.1 so its .8% acid? which one is correct.
I tested my Zin yesterday PH is measuring 3.79 using the first method i used 10cc so acid measures .75% acid which is what I believe it is, using the 2nd method its 1.% Based on the taste there is no way its 1% acid. What calculation is everyone using.

It Depends on what NaOH solution you are using. It’s not just one standard type.
Your second equation (x .1) is for NaOH solution .2N. — requires 15mL sample.
I use .1n solution. Addition to get to 8.2 multiply by 1.5. —- requires only 5ml sample.
Those are the 2 that I know of at least.

Just noticed you said your using NaOH .2N. Which needs 15mL sample. 1:1. You’ve got yourself a TA of .8% sounds like. With 3.79 ph? Tough one.
TA in range but on on the high end of the range. And lowering ph would likely bump ta out of comfort level. If mine my plan would be to leave it alone until someone with some legit experience suggests a proper plan of action. Have faith. They will chime in. But It’s New Year’s Eve. In the meantime do a search for “high acid with high ph) Im sure it’s been discussed plenty of times.

Last edited:
The initial article on measuring acid refers to Acid Blend. It is my understanding Tartaric Acid should be used instead of Acid Blend in grape wines. Citric Acid evidently is not complimentary to grape wines. Additionally, and again my understanding, the Malic in Acid Blends will not take to MLF if you choose to do so.

Latest posts

Back