Heron Bay Green Apple Riesling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St Allie

Tech Administrator
Reaction score
Cleared amazingly fast.

Added the fpac and the clearing agents and in one hour I could see right though the carboy.. Will leave it the full eight days before bottling.

But wow, I'm impressed.

Allie

yes.. added a sorbate/sulphite packet and one packet of kieselsol to the wine.. then waited 48 hours.. f pac went in and added chitosan and then one hour later .. added another kieselsol packet...

and it was magical!

Allie

This is the stuff I always recommend to people with stubborn batches. I just had to use it on my dandelion the other day as it wasnt clearing on its own after many months.and its crystal now.

please let us know how this comes out Allie

im a huge fan of green apples :)

I was so pleased with this kit Nubz.. that I went down to the HBS and bought the black cherry pinot noir kit..

I can see that the summer breeze kits are going to become my favourite.. they have just released a blackberry merlot.. and the HBS has a shipment coming this month.. so she is holding one of those for me as well.

Allie

The W.E Mist and the RJS Orchard Breezin both make pretty good Mist kits. I have not tried any others due to availabilty here. Ive mae quite a few o these mainly for others but have kept a few and upped the abv on mine. The Peach Apricot Chard, Green Apple Reisling, Blueberry Pinot Noir, Watermelon White Merlot, Blackberry Cabernet, Banana Pineapple Voignier, and Blueberry Shiraz are very good. If you are going to make 1 of these and arent kind to sweeter wines then adjust the sweetness by only adding ome of the f-pac at the end. You could also use some of that pac up front but I only suggest that to someone who has made that same kit once before as you may want all that flavor at the end. I use around 3 1/2 lbs of added sugar up front to up the abv and all the f-pac at the end to balance out the higher abv with flavor and eveyone loves it this way.

I also added the 3 and a half pounds of sugar upfront Wade.. it took the SG from 1.072 to 1.092.. tasted it before the f-pac addition it was a nice dry white more suited to my palate and you could still taste the green apple in it.. added the whole fpac though because this wine is destined for my mum to mostly drink, and she likes wine to be sweeter. I think half the fpac would have been enough for my taste.

Allie

please let us know how this comes out Allie

im a huge fan of green apples :)

all I can taste is sugar really..Too sweet for me.

apart from the sweetness it followed all kit instructions to the letter.. can't fault it as a kit, beautifully clear.. just a bit muller thurgau for me.. overly sweet.. I can't drink it..

I made homemade cider from my orchard last year which fermented to dry and slightly sour.. and that's my favourite now.

I made apple wine to a recipe I used 10 years ago with one quarter hard pears.. residual sugars again are too sweet. this year I will omit the pears..

my palate has changed in the past 10 years..that recipe no longer works for me.

Allie

my palate has changed in the past 10 years..that recipe no longer works for me.

i just commented on the last thread about changing of palates. 10 years? mine has changed in 3! i must be drinking too much wine :s

or you aren't drinking enough :)

What is about the cutoff sg for everyone here with most wines. I tend to like my fruit wines around 1.005.

Wade.. I have a summer mist black cherry pinot noir coming along... I checked SG and it's .995.. so adding the f pac later today, hopefully it won't be quite as sweet as the riesling, I'm going to just add half and give it a good taste before adding the rest!

this one is for me.

Allie

Why dont you try adding 1/4 and then tasting before you go too far again. If you ever repeat 1 of these kits try putting 1/2 the f-pac in in the beginning to up the abv a little and give it more flavor since your not going to add it all in the end. Lots of people do this that way. I add around 4 lbs of sugar in the beginning to up the abv to around 1.090 and then add the f-pac at the end till I like the amount of sweetness.

Why dont you try adding 1/4 and then tasting before you go too far again. If you ever repeat 1 of these kits try putting 1/2 the f-pac in in the beginning to up the abv a little and give it more flavor since your not going to add it all in the end. Lots of people do this that way. I add around 4 lbs of sugar in the beginning to up the abv to around 1.090 and then add the f-pac at the end till I like the amount of sweetness.

I added 3 and a half pounds of sugar upfront.. the Sg was 1.092 so it's a little higher in alcohol.. and it's finished really dry..the riesling didn't finish as dry as this one.. I'll just add dribbles of the f pac and keep tasting it.. All indications are that this one will be more to my taste..

you know they also do a blackberry merlot one too?.. ( I think I am addicted!)

Allie

you know they also do a blackberry merlot one too?.. ( I think I am addicted!)

mmm, blackberry merlot. one of my favorite wines.

our fruit wines sg varies. for a full bodied wine, which is most of what we make, we tend to get around the 13% alc/vol level. if you start at 1.085 and let it go to the ~1.00-1.005 is what we like to do. sometimes they've gone full dry on us when we forget to check them. we typically use a stronger yeast (able to go to 17% alc/vol), so a few have gotten a lil strong. on a ligher wine such as pineapple or green tomato, we try to keep it around the 11% realm. it makes a smoother tasting wine that way. our pear wine got up to ~15% and you can tell it!

I've added just over a third of the f pac.. it's got cherry flavour and kept the sweetness to a minimum.

The rest of the f pac will be saved in the fridge for use at a later date. I only have another merlot going at the moment.
I might add a bit of fpac to a glass of that and see if it blends with it.. if it doesn't, I'll leave it till I make another plum wine or something.

Allie

Latest posts

Back