Other Which Pinot Noir?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Startwining

Brewmeister
Reaction score
I recently finished up my first kit a Cabernet shiraz from Rj spangnols. And I decided I'd like to make a second kit of Pinot noir.

I was wondering what people would suggest for a kit, I no most will say you get what you pay for but I still figure hey it can't hurt to ask..

Seems like most kits are sold out, assuming these are popular...

I recently finished up my first kit a Cabernet shiraz from Rj spangnols. And I decided I'd like to make a second kit of Pinot noir.

I was wondering what people would suggest for a kit, I no most will say you get what you pay for but I still figure hey it can't hurt to ask..

Seems like most kits are sold out, assuming these are popular...
Strartwining:

Kits are sold out? Only if you are looking at limited editions or a retailer with poor stocking habits (or that doesn't normally carry that specific kit). Kits are usually available year round. In 6 years of running an LHBS, I only recall one kit being temporarily sold out at the manufacturer, and we had to wait till after the next harvest for stock. But my store was often sold out of the occasional kit, and there were many kits that I just didn't stock at all (eg Pinotage).

BTW, when you mention a kit, please mention the exact brand. RJS makes two Cab/Shiraz kits...Vino del Vida and Cellar Classic. Not important to this question, but might be in future.

RJ Spagnols has eight Pinot Noirs. If I was going to make one, it would be either the Cru Select California Pinot Noir or the En Primeur New Zealand Pinot Noir. These are both expensive high-end kits that you may not want to make as a second kit. The Grand Cru International BC Pinot Noir would be the third one on my list, and the one that I would probably recommend to you. Most GCI reds include grape skins, but I don't think the Pinot Noir does. I was running an FoP way back in 2006-2007 when the GCI kits were first released. This PN was a good kit.

Of course, there are lots of other brands. I enjoyed the Ken Ridge Showcase New Zealand Pinot Noir, and due to local availability that would likely be the PN kit that I would make.

Steve

Last edited:
Strartwining:

Kits are sold out? Only if you are looking at limited editions or a retailer with poor stocking habits (or that doesn't normally carry that specific kit). Kits are usually available year round. In 6 years of running an LHBS, I only recall one kit being temporarily sold out at the manufacturer, and we had to wait till after the next harvest for stock. But my store was often sold out of the occasional kit, and there were many kits that I just didn't stock at all (eg Pinotage).

BTW, when you mention a kit, please mention the exact brand. RJS makes two Cab/Shiraz kits...Vino del Vida and Cellar Classic. Not important to this question, but might be in future.

RJ Spagnols has eight Pinot Noirs. If I was going to make one, it would be either the Cru Select California Pinot Noir or the En Primeur New Zealand Pinot Noir. These are both expensive high-end kits that you may not want to make as a second kit. The Grand Cru International BC Pinot Noir would be the third one on my list, and the one that I would probably recommend to you. Most GCI reds include grape skins, but I don't think the Pinot Noir does. I was running an FoP way back in 2006-2007 when the GCI kits were first released. This PN was a good kit.

Of course, there are lots of other brands. I enjoyed the Ken Ridge Showcase New Zealand Pinot Noir, and due to local availability that would likely be the PN kit that I would make.

Steve
Of these kits I would hands down choose the EP Zealand Pinot noir. My second would be the GCI BC Pinot Noir. These are great kits for the price. If you have the Patience then the CSP California Pinot Noir is the way to go. Both of the previous mentioned kits with drink sooner than the CSP Pinot Noir but if you like California Pinot then this kit is well worth waiting for.

Of these kits I would hands down choose the EP Zealand Pinot noir. My second would be the GCI BC Pinot Noir. These are great kits for the price. If you have the Patience then the CSP California Pinot Noir is the way to go. Both of the previous mentioned kits with drink sooner than the CSP Pinot Noir but if you like California Pinot then this kit is well worth waiting for.
Thanks RJB. The time isn't an issue for me, but it is for many.

Steve

Thanks for the quick replys, as far as sold out, I mean the stores in my area no longer carry any Pinot noir kits, why? I do not know.

And as far as googling kits to be shipped here goes I didnt want to choose one and end up biting the bullet on a garbage setup with out getting opinions from the gurus here! And yes it is my second kit, so I do have the equipment necessary.

I will look into the suggestions above to see which best suits me and my winemaking skills

Any of these kits are very straight forward. Pinot Noir kits I have seen do not contain skins of any thing complicated. Just the time lines for the stages will be the differences here.

I will be the first to admit patience is not on my side. Being 22 my generation is filled with needs of instant gratification.:w However I doo love to sit down and enjoy my finished product, wether its wine or anything else, I like to appreciate what I have "created." something my father always taught me growing up

Although I do believe I should make a few kits to sharpen my skills and knowledge before moving to kits that require extensive knowledge and babysitting.

Hopefully in a season or so I can finally utilize the grapevine in our yard and make one from grapes and not a kit, but that's a while away

I will be the first to admit patience is not on my side. Being 22 my generation is filled with needs of instant gratification.:w However I doo love to sit down and enjoy my finished product, wether its wine or anything else, I like to appreciate what I have "created." something my father always taught me growing up

Although I do believe I should make a few kits to sharpen my skills and knowledge before moving to kits that require extensive knowledge and babysitting.

Hopefully in a season or so I can finally utilize the grapevine in our yard and make one from grapes and not a kit, but that's a while away
So the kit I would sell you in my store would be The GCI BC Pinot Noir. This will be the earliest drinking and best profile at a younger age. Put away a couple of bottles and leave them alone while to make a few more kits then open one of these hidden gems and you will learn what you are missing.:D

I made the GCI BC Pinot Noir last winter and it has been great and tasting great at the 6-8 month time range. You may want to start this kit and then get a second, higher end kit going so it can age while you are drinking the fist kit. I'm trying to make a kit each quarter so I'll have something new that is ready to drink on a regular basis.

Have you asked any of the stores if they can get you a kit from their supplier on the next delivery? My guy only carries the lower end kits and a few mid levels. But when I want a specific, better kit, he will get it for me if he can. If some kits don't sell well, they might not stock them, but can get them. Good luck.

Whether you make good starter kits or high end kits, I haven't made one that I needed to babysit. :)
Having said that, Mr Instant Gratification, let your wines mature. In the meantime, buy commercial wines during the waiting process. You will be glad you did. And you will certainly appreciate that creation alot more.
PS, us old kids get impatient too, you know. :h

Latest posts

Back