Degassing Pressure

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumjump

Reaction score
I was wondering if I could use my vacuum sealer to degass with. It is a Cabela's CG-15 mode. Capable of drawing a 28-1/2" vacuum with 935 watts of power. I have an attachement with the tubing from an old seal a meal I had. I tried it on a 750 bottle and it seemed to pull the gas out pretty fast. I didn't dare do the 5 gallon one yet. I wanted to get your opinions first. I don't want my carboy to blow up. There is no gauge with this either.

I would put a gauge and regulator in the line before trying. Avoid going over 22" if the machine actually gets that high. Mine will not pull 5" after running more than 20 min., once you get it hooked to a carboy.

I used once a vacuum sealer to degass. I placed a bung in the carboy first then placed the tip of the sealer over the bung hole. You would have to moisten it with a drop of water or lick your finger and touch the suction cup.

The problem is how much pressure are you getting, when will it be degassed enough and how many batteries do you need to get you thru this. (assuming it's battery operated).

Now I properly degass at 1st racking out of the primary. This and proper aging and you shouldn't have a problem.

How I degass is via splash racking and a good manual stirring. After a few batches you get a good idea.

The vacuum sealer is a commercial grade and runs on electricity.We put up a lot of wild game. It's pretty powerfull. From the responses I have gotten I think I will stick to the way I have been doing it. I use a drill mounted wine whip. Thanks for the replies. I can always depend on coming here to get good advise. :hug

Hey, if its commercial and you think its strong enough go for it but put a regulator on it so as not to exceed 22" cause for one you dont want to implode a carboy and 2 too much vacuum and you can start to pull out florals out of the wine. If you were to leave a vacuum running on it for a long time at too high a vacuum it could pul out some of the aroma molecules.

Latest posts

Back