I got that Salami feeling again

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you give me an idea of time/temp/humidity need per step. Deer season is very near and I still have some clean pure ground meat from last year vac packed in the freezer. I want to give it a try.
Thanks
Jim

Can you give me an idea of time/temp/humidity need per step. Deer season is very near and I still have some clean pure ground meat from last year vac packed in the freezer. I want to give it a try.
Thanks
Jim

60/60 is about ideal. 60degrees, 60% humidity. I don't have much control over either. If your temps are higher, or the humidity is going lower, then hold off.

BTW, I done venison sausages and salami, and the taste is such that I won't do either again. Not bad, but pork is superior. The pork fat is what makes the sausage a sausage. Venison for me is for stews and jerky. YMMV.

Last edited:
I plan on adding at least 50% pork.

This deer was super trimmed, no fat. I don't like deer fat at all. It's has a very mild game taste.

We made Deer Sausage as a kid growing up in San Antonio. 50/50 blend with pork. Awesome stuff smoked, dried, patty however we made it.

60/60 is about ideal. 60degrees, 60% humidity. I don't have much control over either. If your temps are higher, or the humidity is going lower, then hold off.QUOTE]

My wine room hangs around 60 degrees. Up a little in the summer and down in winter. I will have to work on humidity. Just checked it, 65 degrees and 52% humidity. Might work just fine!!

Do you add fermenting yeast or let it turn white on it's own?

I add starter culture for the spicy tangy flavor, fermentation yes, yeast I'm not sure it is. It develops the white mold on its own. Not something that happens for everybody, so I hear.

At 65/52 I'd be cautious. Add more salt, and hang a soaking towel in the space to increase the humidity.

Latest posts

Back