WineXpert Similar to Diablo Rojo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkerz

Junior
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of Diabo Rojo taste. Can anyone suggest a kit that is simular to Diablo Rojo? I would like to try other kits, but would hate to waste my money on something I would not like.

Okay - what is it about the Diablo Rojo that you like?

If it's the off-dry taste, you might try the Enigma. It's a Selection kit, set up in the same profile as the (commercial) Apothic Red. I've had the WV Merlot w skins (made by the numbers) and enjoyed it too... Medium bodied, fruit forward and a touch sweet for me.

More generally, before you made the DR, what wine did you drink?

Last edited:
Diablo Rojo no oak

I love the commercial wine Bodacious Smooth Red. I just had the local wine store make me Diablo Rojo and they left the oak out because Bodacious is not oaked, but it is not very good i am just wondering if it was a mistake to leave the oak. (i'm not trying to blame the store) just looking for feedback and wondering if i should do it again with the oak.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/rjs-cellar-classic-california-cabernet-syrah-zinfandel-kit.html
I made this kit and it's quite good. It would be in the same category as the enigma I would guess. I also added Cabernet skins to it so I can't say how it would be without this tweak. Just stay away from the mezza Luna red [emoji12]

See, I really like the Mezza Luna Red...but I do tweak the snot out of it.

Haven't made the Diablo Rojo...I got thing about devils, I don't mess with them.

We love Diablo Rojo, and have made many batches of it since about 2010. They seem to have made a change to the kit last summer which changed the flavour somewhat (to it's detriment in my opinion). Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:
If it's the off-dry taste, you might try the Enigma. It's a Selection kit, set up in the same profile as the (commercial) Apothic Red. I've had the WV Merlot w skins (made by the numbers) and enjoyed it too... Medium bodied, fruit forward and a touch sweet for me.

LOVE Apothic Red!! Gotta give this kit a try then!!

We love Diablo Rojo, and have made many batches of it since about 2010. They seem to have made a change to the kit last summer which changed the flavour somewhat (to it's detriment in my opinion). Has anyone else experienced this?
Did you ever get an answer to this? I'm considering ordering it but curious to how much it has changed.

This was the first red wine kit I made (last year) and was not pleased. I have to caveat it with - I left out the sweetener pack based on comments that it was a bit sweet and we like dry red wine. So we made the kit (sans sweetener), bottled it, and after a month or so tried it. It had a Dijon smell and aftertaste to it. So, took all the corks out of the bottles, dumped it back into the carboy, added about 1/3-1/2 of the sweetener pack and left it for a week or so, then bottled. After 8 or so months in the bottle it's mellowed some, but still has some of that taste and smell and is a bit better after it's had some time to breath. I'm not sure if anyone else has had this experience with this wine kit and if so, it would be great to hear. I'm not sure if the problem was leaving out the sweetener, if it was a bad kit, or other "user" error.

Right now I've got my eye on making the WE Australian Grenache/Shiraz/Mourvedre.

Okay - what is it about the Diablo Rojo that you like?

More generally, before you made the DR, what wine did you drink?

New to forum. A few women and I make wine mainly from kits. Two of the ladies bought Selection Winexpert Enigma - first time for the Enigma for the group. We started one, but as it approaches bottling it's not as bold as either lady wanted. I know - or I think I know - That the only way at this point, after stabilization, is blending to have some impact. But with the one that has not been started, any suggestions for "bolding it up"??

If you want to just give it more heft in the mouth (mouthfeel) you could try adding a small amount of Vegetable Glycerin, it won't take much, 1-3 tablespoons per gallon is I believe enough. If you want to give it more pucker factor, you can purchase finishing tannins, add about 1-3 tablespoons per gallon, but add to a small amount of water, let sit for 10-15 minutes, then stir it into the water prior to adding to the wine.

Jgmann67 - I opened a bottle. Nice! I have had a bit of it to taste here and there but it always seemed harsh. It definitely mellowed in the last 2-3 months. Glad you suggested it!

Back